- Gram dal / chickpeas contains high protein and fiber which makes it ideal for weight loss and diabetic diets. It helps to control cholesterol levels and reduce hypertension.
- It has anti inflammatory properties and healthy fats that are helpful for treating inflammation.
- It is mineral rich with calcium, phosphorus and magnesium that strengthens bones and teeth.
- It is a natural source of potassium that helps in lowering the blood pressure levels and is good for heart health.
- Iron and other minerals help prevent anemia and enhance metabolism.
- Turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties that can prevent many chronic diseases like cancer, metabolic syndrome and Alzheimer's disease. It can also boost memory power.
- It helps in increasing the body's own antioxidants.
- Salt is the source of sodium which is an essential mineral that helps balance the fluids in the body and it is an important nutrient for nerve and muscle function.
- Sodium has an important role in supporting many functions and it is contained in the body fluids which transport oxygen and other nutrients.
- In this hot salt frying technique, nuts like chestnuts, shelled peanuts and corn kernels are also fried. Even fish and meat can be cooked by this similar method.
- The human body has the capacity to naturally excrete if there is any excess salt in the body that is more than around 250 g of salt. It is said that salt is present in each and every cell in our body.
- In ancient Rome salt was so valuable and soldiers were paid with it. The word 'salary' is actually derived from sal, the Latin word for salt.
- The human body does not produce sodium and salt is the main source of sodium and chloride.
- Hot sand frying is a similar cooking technique where sand is used instead of salt. It is also famous in Asian countries.
- Salt can be used in around 1000+ different ways for many different things.
- Next to soybeans, chickpeas are the second most widely grown legume and India is largest producer of chickpeas in the world.
Suggested consumable by age groups
- A significant amount of half a cup can be enjoyed by all age groups.
Good times to eat:
- It can be munched anytime or can be eaten as an evening snack.
Eat along with:
- It can be eaten as it is or along with a hot cup of tea or coffee.
When not to eat or eat more often:
- Should be consumed in moderation as too much sodium intake is not advisable.
Story/History of recipe
Uppu Kadalai is a South Indian famous snack that is prepared in an unique cooking technique called "hot salt frying". In this technique, a few cups of salt is preheated in a wide iron pan / wok instead of using oil for frying. It is an old and popular technique followed by villagers of Asian countries.
Recipe Ingredients, Preparation Steps and Occasions Served
Watch Recipe Video
Event/Festivals Served/Most Popular During
- In a bowl, add around half a teaspoon of turmeric powder and dilute with one teaspoon of water. Do not add too much water.
- Add one cup of chickpeas to the turmeric powder and mix well. Make sure that the chickpeas are completely coated with turmeric powder and keep it aside.
- In a heavy bottomed iron pan, add one and a half cup of salt and heat at high flame. Stir occasionally.
- Once the salt is heated up add the chickpeas coated with turmeric powder.
- While adding the chickpeas start with around half a spoon of chickpeas and then increase the quantity batch by batch.
- Keep stirring and wait till the chickpeas pop. Then using a wired skimmer (deep fry strainer) take the roasted chickpeas out.
Kandra foods ships all over India ( to all the pin codes), and usually it takes 1-4 days to reach the destination based on zones you belong to.
No we don’t charge any extra for shipping the products prices are all inclusive.
The best thing you can do is to ask your security or neighbor to collect it and keep it with them and you can later collect it from them. If you don’t respond the product will be sent back to us and you may have to still bear all the shipping costs to get it delivered.
There is no minimum or maximum order value, when your order is worth Rs 2000 and more you would get a discount and you can avail it any time including the current order.you can proceed ordering as much quantity and varieties you can. For corporate orders you are requested to do an online transfer to the bank account instead of paying online on the website.
Yes, we may have seasonal deals and discounts and its not assured always, but then you can always avail a discount when your order is worth Rs. 2000 and more, you can ask for it over the chat or write to us or call directly to the available number on the website.
Yes, we serve custom orders for occasions like Srimantham (Baby shower), Oni function, festivals, small events, marriages, naming ceremonies, etc.
Yes, you can. You have to specifically mention it during your purchase, sometimes it would be chargeable based on the purchase value, product, event/occasions etc.
Yes, you can order at least 7 days in advance. So we make sure it's delivered on time to your door. We serve at least 200+ function/bulk orders every month, the most common functions we serve are the baby shower (Srimantham), Oni function, Naming ceremony etc.
Its an amazing opportunity for the women who has passion for cooking and writing! our platforms allows everyone to share their knowledge and earn in parallel. Now you can utilize your free time for sharing your knowledge on KandraFoods,
- You should be passionate about cooking & related & love sharing the same with the community
- You should be proficient writing in your mother tongue or in English
- You should know the basic email communication and english