Story/History of recipe
Ribbon Pakoda belongs to Murukku variety, the most renowned snack of Tamil Nadu. With a variation in ingredients and shape it is also as popular as Murukku. 'Pakoda' in English is called fritters and since it has a unique wavy ribbon like look the snack is called Ribbon Pakoda. It is one of the ideal ready-to-eat South Indian evening snacks. Festivals like Diwali are incomplete without this. It is also specially prepared for many traditional occasions.
Recipe Ingredients, Preparation Steps and Occasions Served
Watch Recipe Video
Event/Festivals Served/Most Popular During
The following are the ingredients needed for preparing Ribbon Pakoda,
- Rice flour - 1 cup
- Gram flour/ Besan flour - 3 cups
- Roasted gram flour - 2 tablespoons
- Red Chilli powder - 2 teaspoons or as preferred
- Turmeric powder - a pinch
- Asafoetida/hing - a pinch (optional)
- Butter/hot oil - 1 to 2 tablespoons
- Water as required
- Salt as required
- Oil for deep frying
For preparing dough:
- In a wide bowl add rice flour, gram flour, roasted gram flour, chilli powder, turmeric powder, asafoetida, salt and butter. Give it a mix.
- Once it has mixed well add water little by little and knead it into a soft dough.
- For reference, it must be similar to chapati dough consistency.
- Once kneaded roll to separate them into small batches and keep it aside.
For preparing Ribbon Pakoda:
- Take a wide heavy bottomed pan, add oil as required for deep fry and let it heat at high flame.
- Drop a tiny bit of dough and check whether the oil is hot enough and ready for frying.
- Meanwhile, grease the murukku maker/ mould with ghee, use the disc with a flat hole instead of the round one and fill in the first batch of dough.
- Once the oil is heated lower the flame and squeeze the dough out of the murukku maker straight into the oil.
- Squeeze them without a pause in a clockwise continuous circle.
- As it turns light brown, gently flip it so that it is cooked well.
- Once it has turned golden brown and the bubbles have stopped take it out in a strainer or tissue paper to remove excess oil.
- Repeat the same process for remaining batches.
- Once ready, break them into medium sized pieces.
- This can be stored for a month in an airtight container.
- Rice flour contains nutrients like calcium and zinc. It is 100% gluten free.
- Gram flour contains high protein and fibre which makes it ideal for weight loss. It helps to control cholesterol levels and reduce hypertension.
- It is loaded with nutrients and contains vitamins that are healthy for women during their pregnancy.
- It contains magnesium that helps to maintain blood pressure and prevents heart diseases.
- Iron and other minerals help prevent anemia and enhance metabolism.
- It is also ideal to be included in a gluten free diet.
- Roasted gram loaded with protein and fibre, it is healthy to include it in the regular diet and ideal for weight loss as it is also low in calories.
- It is rich in minerals that boosts immunity and improves bone, muscle and heart health thereby prevents cardiovascular disease and maintains blood pressure.
- It also contains iron and other nutrients that help in improving bowel movements and prevents constipation.
- The vitamins in roasted gram are healthy for skin and hair care. It also helps to improve memory and is good for brain health.
- Pakkavada, is a similar one prepared in Kerala style with freshly fried curry leaves.
- Gram flour can modulate hunger hormone and thereby can reduce hunger.
- It is said that, compared to white wheat flour gram flour can be more effective in lowering blood sugar levels.
- Other names and other variations for the same include Ribbon Murukku, Ola Pakoda, Ribbon Sev, Ottu Pakoda, Nada Thenkuzhal and Seeval.
- One other popular South Indian snack known as 'Mixture' is also prepared by including Ribbon Pakoda along with other fried snacks.
Suggested consumable by age groups
- A small to medium bowl of Ribbon Pakoda can be enjoyed by all age groups.
Good times to eat:
- It is perfect as an evening snack.
Eat along with:
- It is good to eat as it is.
- It can be eaten alongside tea or coffee.
When not to eat or eat more often:
- It is advised not to eat often as it is a deep fried snack.
Kandra foods ships all over India ( to all the pin codes), and usually it takes 1-4 days to reach the destination based on zones you belong to.
No we don’t charge any extra for shipping the products prices are all inclusive.
The best thing you can do is to ask your security or neighbor to collect it and keep it with them and you can later collect it from them. If you don’t respond the product will be sent back to us and you may have to still bear all the shipping costs to get it delivered.
There is no minimum or maximum order value, when your order is worth Rs 2000 and more you would get a discount and you can avail it any time including the current order.you can proceed ordering as much quantity and varieties you can. For corporate orders you are requested to do an online transfer to the bank account instead of paying online on the website.
Yes, we may have seasonal deals and discounts and its not assured always, but then you can always avail a discount when your order is worth Rs. 2000 and more, you can ask for it over the chat or write to us or call directly to the available number on the website.
Yes, we serve custom orders for occasions like Srimantham (Baby shower), Oni function, festivals, small events, marriages, naming ceremonies, etc.
Yes, you can. You have to specifically mention it during your purchase, sometimes it would be chargeable based on the purchase value, product, event/occasions etc.
Yes, you can order at least 7 days in advance. So we make sure it's delivered on time to your door. We serve at least 200+ function/bulk orders every month, the most common functions we serve are the baby shower (Srimantham), Oni function, Naming ceremony etc.
Its an amazing opportunity for the women who has passion for cooking and writing! our platforms allows everyone to share their knowledge and earn in parallel. Now you can utilize your free time for sharing your knowledge on KandraFoods,
- You should be passionate about cooking & related & love sharing the same with the community
- You should be proficient writing in your mother tongue or in English
- You should know the basic email communication and english