- Gram flour contains high protein and fiber which makes it ideal for weight loss. It helps to control cholesterol levels and reduce hypertension.
- It contains magnesium that helps to maintain blood pressure and prevents cardiovascular health problems.
- It also contains nutrients that can improve bone and heart health.
- Iron and other minerals help prevent anemia and enhance metabolism.
- Ghee helps absorb nutrients and can improve the immune system as it contains antioxidants. It can also relieve digestion issues.
- Nuts like cashews and almonds are packed with minerals like magnesium, fiber and proteins. It can help with reducing the risk of heart diseases.
- Laddoo also known as boondi ke laddoo prepared by rolling together the Boondi balls is one of the prashads offered Hindu deities.
- Boondi goes well with other Indian desserts. One of the other variations of it includes Boondi ki kheer.
- It is said that the initial popularity for Boondi was because of climatic conditions of Rajasthan and need of preserving food. It is prepared considering its long shelf life.
- Other names of Boondi include Bonde, Bundi and Boondi mithai.
- Boondi was later developed into a savoury snack called Kara/Tikka boondi. It is more crispy than sweet boondi and is also included in many other dishes like sabzi, raita and other chaat items.
- Angoor Boondi is a similar sweet prepared with urad dal also prepared in a bigger size than the original Boondi
Suggested consumable by age groups
- A significant quantity of small cups can be enjoyed by all age groups.
Good times to eat:
- It can be eaten as a dessert after a meal or as an evening snack.
Eat along with:
- This can be eaten as it is or along with coffee/tea and other traditional savory/snacks.
- This can also be garnished on other Indian delicacies like kheer.
When not to eat or eat more often:
- Diabetic patients should avoid consuming.
Story/History of recipe
Boondi is originally from Rajasthan. It became a popular sweet of India especially in Hindu culture. From many special occasions like weddings and birthdays to festivals like Diwali, Rakshabandhan and many more it is prepared to celebrate the occasion. Boondi in English means droplets or drop size. These drop sized balls are also made by adding different food colours to give it a colourful look.
Recipe Ingredients, Preparation Steps and Occasions Served
Watch Recipe Video
Event/Festivals Served/Most Popular During
The following are the ingredients needed for preparing Sweet Boondi,
- Gram flour (besan) - 1 cup
- Sugar - 2 cups
- Cardamom powder - a pinch
- Ghee - 1 tablespoon
- Mixed nuts of your choice - 1 tablespoon (chopped and fried)
- Baking soda - a pinch (optional)
- Food colour - a pinch (optional)
- Water - 2 cups
- Oil - as required for deep fry.
For preparing batter:
- Take a large bowl, add one cup of plain gram flour, cardamom powder, baking soda and around 150ml water then mix it into a batter.
- Dilute a pinch of preferred food colour in water add it to the batter and mix well.
- Same way, multiple food colours can also be used by dividing the batter into 2-3 different batches for each colour. But this is completely optional.
- Make sure the batter is mixed well with no lumps.
- It is slightly similar to thin dosa batter. You can adjust the consistency by adding more flour or more water as required.
For preparing Boondi:
- In a wide heavy bottomed pan, add oil as required for deep fry and let it heat at high flame.
- Once the oil is hot enough take a 'Boondi karandi' or any perforated steel plate or ladle hold it above the pan. Take half a cup of prepared batter and gently pour on the perforated surface.
- If required gently tap on it.
- The batter will start to fall in the shape of small beads through the holes.
- Keep tapping until the batter is completely finished.
- You can keep at low flame while pouring the batter and increase the flame again once done.
- The small balls of Boondi will start to float up at this time and gently keep giving it a mix so that it is cooked evenly.
- Once the sizzling sound and bubbles have stopped take it out and transfer it a strainer or tissue paper to remove excess oil.
- To avoid the holes getting blocked by batter clean the ladle as and when required.
- Use a dry cloth to clean it and make sure it is not wet before you start with the next batch.
- Repeat the same process for the remaining batter.
To prepare Sweet Boondi:
- While the Boondi is done, take a different pan, add two cups of sugar and water as it will be required to get the sugar immersed in it.
- Melt it at low to medium flame and stir until you get string consistency.
- At this stage add the prepared Boondi and give it a mix.
- Switch off the flame, add nuts of your choice and ghee and give a final mix of all contents.
- Once the Boondi is coated perfectly with sugar let it cool down in the pan.
- This can be then served as it is or also can be stored in an airtight container in this case, it can stay fresh for around ten days.
Kandra foods ships all over India ( to all the pin codes), and usually it takes 1-4 days to reach the destination based on zones you belong to.
No we don’t charge any extra for shipping the products prices are all inclusive.
The best thing you can do is to ask your security or neighbor to collect it and keep it with them and you can later collect it from them. If you don’t respond the product will be sent back to us and you may have to still bear all the shipping costs to get it delivered.
There is no minimum or maximum order value, when your order is worth Rs 2000 and more you would get a discount and you can avail it any time including the current order.you can proceed ordering as much quantity and varieties you can. For corporate orders you are requested to do an online transfer to the bank account instead of paying online on the website.
Yes, we may have seasonal deals and discounts and its not assured always, but then you can always avail a discount when your order is worth Rs. 2000 and more, you can ask for it over the chat or write to us or call directly to the available number on the website.
Yes, we serve custom orders for occasions like Srimantham (Baby shower), Oni function, festivals, small events, marriages, naming ceremonies, etc.
Yes, you can. You have to specifically mention it during your purchase, sometimes it would be chargeable based on the purchase value, product, event/occasions etc.
Yes, you can order at least 7 days in advance. So we make sure it's delivered on time to your door. We serve at least 200+ function/bulk orders every month, the most common functions we serve are the baby shower (Srimantham), Oni function, Naming ceremony etc.
Its an amazing opportunity for the women who has passion for cooking and writing! our platforms allows everyone to share their knowledge and earn in parallel. Now you can utilize your free time for sharing your knowledge on KandraFoods,
- You should be passionate about cooking & related & love sharing the same with the community
- You should be proficient writing in your mother tongue or in English
- You should know the basic email communication and english