Story/History of recipe
Boondi is originally a sweet variety originated from Rajasthan. Later a savoury version was also created which is known as Kara or tikka boondi. Boondi is such a versatile creation which is popular all over India. It is a commonly available household snack that is also specially prepared for festivals in India.
Recipe Ingredients, Preparation Steps and Occasions Served
Watch Recipe Video
Event/Festivals Served/Most Popular During
The following are the ingredients needed for Kara Boondi,
- Gram flour - 2 cups
- Rice flour - 1- 2 tablespoons
- Chilli powder - ½ teaspoon or as per your preference
- Turmeric powder - a pinch
- Asafoetida/hing - 1 teaspoon
- Salt as required
- Garlic (crushed) - 5 cloves
- Curry leaves - as preferred (chopped and fried)
- Cashews - 1 tablespoon (roasted)
- Groundnuts - 1 tablespoon (roasted)
- Water as required for batter.
- Oil as required for deep frying.
For preparing batter:
- Take a large bowl, add gram flour, rice flour, salt and mix well.
- Add water as much as required to mix the flour into a paste and mix well.
- Add chilli powder and turmeric powder.
- Keep whisking to avoid lumps and add more water to make it thin. It must have the consistency which is slightly thinner than Dosa batter.
- You can adjust the consistency by adding more flour or more water as required.
- Once the batter is ready add asafoetida.
For preparing Kara Boondi:
- In a wide heavy bottomed pan, add oil as required for deep fry and let it heat at high flame.
- Once the oil is hot enough take a 'Kara Boondi karandi' or any perforated steel plate or ladle hold it above the pan.
- Take half a cup of prepared batter and gently pour on the perforated surface. If required gently tap on it.
- The batter will start to fall in the shape of small beads through the holes.
- Keep tapping until the batter has completely finished.
- The small balls of Kara Boondi will start to float up at this time and gently stir them all to cook evenly.
- Let it fry until it turns golden brown colour. Once the sizzling sound and bubbles have stopped take it out and transfer it a strainer or tissue paper to remove excess oil.
- Once the first batch of Kara Boondi, that is the first half a cup of batter is completely cleared out through the perforated surface, drown the ladle in water and clean it. This way the holes won't get blocked by batter
- Use a dry cloth to clean it and make sure it is not wet before you start with the next batch.
- Repeat the same process for the remaining batter.
- Once the Kara Boondi is done, take them in a large bowl.
- Add curry leaves, crushed garlic, cashews and groundnuts, toss and mix them well. You can also add or ignore any nuts as per your preference.
- Prepared Kara Boondi can be stored in an airtight container for a month.
- Interesting Facts
- Recipe/Cooking Process
- Why KandraFoods?
- Become a Contributor (Earn by writing)
- Energy - 156 cal
- Protein - 4 g - 8%
- Carbohydrates - 12 g - 4%
- Fiber - 3.2 g - 11%
- Fat - 10 g - 13%
- Cholesterol - 0 mg - 0%
- Vitamin A - 105 mcg - 4%
- Vitamin B3 - 0.4 mg - 3%
- Vitamin B9 - 30 mg - 8%
- Vitamin C - 0.4 mcg - 0%
- Calcium - 11 mg - 1%
- Iron - 1.2 mg - 7%
- Potassium - 144 mg - 3%
- Sodium - 15 mg - 1%
- Magnesium - 26 mg - 6%
- Phosphorus - 66 mg - 5%
- Zinc - 0.4 mg - 4%
- Gram flour contains high protein and fibre which makes it ideal for weight loss. It helps to control cholesterol levels and reduce hypertension.
- It contains magnesium that helps to maintain blood pressure and prevents heart diseases.
- Iron and other minerals help prevent anemia and enhance metabolism.
- Rice flour and gram flour are ideal to be included in a gluten free diet
- Curry leaves are rich with antioxidants that prevent oxidative damage and help support the cardiovascular system and nervous system. .
- It helps in maintaining blood glucose levels and secretion of insulin hence ideal to be included in diabetic diet.
- It also has nutrients that are healthy for eyes, skin and hair.
- Kara Boondi is used to garnish many popular Indian chaat varieties. A few side dish varieties also include it for its crunchiness.
- This spicy snack goes well with curd and yogurt based Indian dishes. It is also included to prepare one of the famous Indian condiment known as Raita.
Suggested consumable by age groups
- A significant amount of a quarter to half cup can be enjoyed by all age groups.
Good times to eat:
- It is perfect as an evening snack.
Eat along with:
- This can be eaten alongside tea or coffee with Indian sweet treats or its own sweet version Boondi.
- It also tastes good to have it as a side dish for Indian meals, especially curd rice.
When not to eat or eat more often:
- Regular consumption can be avoided considering that it is a deep fried snack.
Kandra foods ships all over India ( to all the pin codes), and usually it takes 1-4 days to reach the destination based on zones you belong to.
No we don’t charge any extra for shipping the products prices are all inclusive.
The best thing you can do is to ask your security or neighbor to collect it and keep it with them and you can later collect it from them. If you don’t respond the product will be sent back to us and you may have to still bear all the shipping costs to get it delivered.
There is no minimum or maximum order value, when your order is worth Rs 2000 and more you would get a discount and you can avail it any time including the current order.you can proceed ordering as much quantity and varieties you can. For corporate orders you are requested to do an online transfer to the bank account instead of paying online on the website.
Yes, we may have seasonal deals and discounts and its not assured always, but then you can always avail a discount when your order is worth Rs. 2000 and more, you can ask for it over the chat or write to us or call directly to the available number on the website.
Yes, we serve custom orders for occasions like Srimantham (Baby shower), Oni function, festivals, small events, marriages, naming ceremonies, etc.
Yes, you can. You have to specifically mention it during your purchase, sometimes it would be chargeable based on the purchase value, product, event/occasions etc.
Yes, you can order at least 7 days in advance. So we make sure it's delivered on time to your door. We serve at least 200+ function/bulk orders every month, the most common functions we serve are the baby shower (Srimantham), Oni function, Naming ceremony etc.
Its an amazing opportunity for the women who has passion for cooking and writing! our platforms allows everyone to share their knowledge and earn in parallel. Now you can utilize your free time for sharing your knowledge on KandraFoods,
- You should be passionate about cooking & related & love sharing the same with the community
- You should be proficient writing in your mother tongue or in English
- You should know the basic email communication and english