- Gram flour contains high protein and fibre which makes it ideal for weight loss. It helps to control cholesterol levels and reduce hypertension.
- It contains magnesium that helps to maintain blood pressure and prevents cardiovascular health problems.
- Iron and other minerals help prevent anemia and enhance metabolism.
- Overall, gram flour is rich in nutrients that supports bone and heart health.
- Rice flour and gram flour are ideal to be included in a gluten free diet.
- Seeval is a traditional South Indian snack that has been popular for around a hundred years.
- It is said that it resembles both North Indian namkeen Namak Para and South Indian murukku variety Ribbon Pakoda.
- Aruppukottai Seeval is popular even outside India. Their customer base includes other cities of Tamil Nadu and countries such as the US and UK.
- Sattur is also famous for Seeval. In their variety they include garlic paste along with others while kneading the dough.
Suggested consumable by age groups
- A significant amount of half a cup can be enjoyed by all age groups.
Good times to eat:
- It is perfect as an evening snack.
- This can be enjoyed anytime like a bowl of chips or popcorn.
Eat along with:
- It goes well with a hot cup of tea or coffee alongside Indian sweets.
- It can also be eaten as a side dish for Indian variety rice.
When not to eat or eat more often:
- As it is a deep fried snack it is better not to eat more often.
Story/History of recipe
Seeval is a savoury snack that is originally from Tamil Nadu. It is famous in a town called Aruppukottai in Virudhunagar district. Seevu in tamil means to cut or slice something against any sharp points. The dough prepared for this is sliced or grated on a specific board called 'Seeval Kattai' to get the ribbon-like strips, hence it is named as Seeval. These are prepared for festivals like Diwali, Krishna Jayanti and many other special occasions.
Recipe Ingredients, Preparation Steps and Occasions Served
Watch Recipe Video
Event/Festivals Served/Most Popular During
- In a wide bowl add rice flour, gram flour chilli powder, hing, salt and butter. Give it a mix.
- Once it has mixed well add water little by little and knead it into a soft dough.
- For reference, it must be similar to chapati dough consistency. Knead well and keep it aside.
- Take a wide heavy bottomed pan, add oil as required for deep fry and let it heat at high flame.
- Drop a tiny bit of dough and check whether the oil is hot enough and ready for frying.
- Once the oil is heated lower the flame and place the 'Seeval Kattai' on the pan.
- Grease your hands slightly with oil and take a handful of dough, roll it into a ball or oval shape.
- Similar way divide the entire dough into small parts
- Take one part of dough and slice/grate it to and fro by pressing on the 'Seeval Kattai'
- As you rub you can see the chips falling into the oil.
- Once it is completely done remove the board.
- Seeval will start to float up, gently stir so that it is cooked well.
- Once it has turned golden brown and the bubbles have stopped take it out in a strainer or tissue paper to remove excess oil.
- Repeat the same process for remaining batches.
- This can be stored for a month in an airtight container.
Kandra foods ships all over India ( to all the pin codes), and usually it takes 1-4 days to reach the destination based on zones you belong to.
No we don’t charge any extra for shipping the products prices are all inclusive.
The best thing you can do is to ask your security or neighbor to collect it and keep it with them and you can later collect it from them. If you don’t respond the product will be sent back to us and you may have to still bear all the shipping costs to get it delivered.
There is no minimum or maximum order value, when your order is worth Rs 2000 and more you would get a discount and you can avail it any time including the current order.you can proceed ordering as much quantity and varieties you can. For corporate orders you are requested to do an online transfer to the bank account instead of paying online on the website.
Yes, we may have seasonal deals and discounts and its not assured always, but then you can always avail a discount when your order is worth Rs. 2000 and more, you can ask for it over the chat or write to us or call directly to the available number on the website.
Yes, we serve custom orders for occasions like Srimantham (Baby shower), Oni function, festivals, small events, marriages, naming ceremonies, etc.
Yes, you can. You have to specifically mention it during your purchase, sometimes it would be chargeable based on the purchase value, product, event/occasions etc.
Yes, you can order at least 7 days in advance. So we make sure it's delivered on time to your door. We serve at least 200+ function/bulk orders every month, the most common functions we serve are the baby shower (Srimantham), Oni function, Naming ceremony etc.
Its an amazing opportunity for the women who has passion for cooking and writing! our platforms allows everyone to share their knowledge and earn in parallel. Now you can utilize your free time for sharing your knowledge on KandraFoods,
- You should be passionate about cooking & related & love sharing the same with the community
- You should be proficient writing in your mother tongue or in English
- You should know the basic email communication and english