Percentage daily values are based on a 2000 calorie diet a day. It is used for general nutrition advice and may differ based on a person’s calorie needs.
Amount per serving
- Peanuts / groundnuts have healthy fats and low carbohydrates. It is loaded with proteins and fibre that helps in increasing the energy levels, reduces the risk of heart problems and manages blood sugar.
- It is rich in vitamins and minerals like calcium and potassium that can be helpful for muscle and heart health. These nutrients are also essential during pregnancy.
- Vitamins that improve brain health and boost memory are also present in it.
- Gram flour contains high protein and fibre which makes it ideal for weight loss. It helps to control cholesterol levels and reduce hypertension.
- It contains magnesium that helps to maintain blood pressure and prevents heart diseases.
- Iron and other minerals help prevent anemia and enhance metabolism.
- It is also ideal to be included in a gluten free diet.
- Rice flour contains nutrients like calcium and zinc. It is also gluten free.
- Peanuts contain 13 different vitamins including A, B, C and E groups, 26 essential minerals like iron and calcium, zinc and boron.
- Raw peanuts are said to be more nutritious compared to other forms of peanuts.
- Legend has it that in the 70s Masala Kadalai got it satirical kannada name 'Congress Kadlekai'
- Red chilli powder, a most common spice of Indian cuisine was originally introduced to Indian by Portuguese.
- Although the original recipe is simple, Masala kadalai has room for improvisations and according to one's own preference you can add few extra ingredients like garlic, coriander, fennel seeds etc. Different places in India also offer a few different variations.
Suggested consumable by age groups
- A small cup can be enjoyed by all age groups.
Good times to eat:
- Evenings are the best for Masala Kadalai.
Eat along with:
- It can be eaten as it is or alongside a hot cup of tea or coffee.
When not to eat or eat more often:
- People allergic to peanuts shall avoid.
- Not advisable for consuming often as it is a deep fried snack.
Story/History of recipe
Masala Kadalai is a famous Tamil Nadu snack. It is a street food fritters that are popularly available in beach side shops along with salty peanuts. It is one of the common tea time snacks of South India. It is prepared like Pakoras by frying the peanuts mixed with gram flour and spices. It has the crunchy and nutty flavour of peanuts with spiciness of red chilli powder.
Recipe Ingredients, Preparation Steps and Occasions Served
Watch Recipe Video
Event/Festivals Served/Most Popular During
The following are the ingredients needed for preparing Masala Kadalai,
- Raw peanuts/groundnuts - 1 cup
- Gram flour - 2-3 tablespoons
- Rice flour - 1 tablespoon
- Red chilli powder - 1/2 tablespoon or as preferred
- (Instead, Kashmiri chilli powder can also be used to give it a rich colour.)
- Turmeric powder - 1 teaspoon
- Asafoetida / hing - 1/4 teaspoon
- Curry leaves a handful or less.
- Salt as required
- Oil for deep fry.
- In a large bowl, add a cup of peanuts, chilli powder, asafoetida, turmeric powder, salt and mix well.
- Add rice flour, a tablespoon of hot oil and then add gram flour little by little and mix well by sprinkling one or two tablespoons of water.
- Do not add too much water. In case if you did, you can balance the excess water by adding a little more gram flour.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, pour oil for frying and heat at a medium flame.
- When the oil is hot, take a handful of prepared mixture and drop them one by one into the oil.
- Based on the pan's capacity, drop in as much as you can. Fry it at low to medium flame to avoid over frying.
- Gently stir them and take it out in a few minutes when they are crispy. Transfer it to a strainer or tissue cloth to remove excess oil.
- Repeat the same process for the entire batch of peanuts mixture.
- In the same pan, add a handful of curry leaves, fry them and garnish over the prepared Masala Kadalai.
- If stored in an airtight container this can stay fresh for a week.
Kandra foods ships all over India ( to all the pin codes), and usually it takes 1-4 days to reach the destination based on zones you belong to.
No we don’t charge any extra for shipping the products prices are all inclusive.
The best thing you can do is to ask your security or neighbor to collect it and keep it with them and you can later collect it from them. If you don’t respond the product will be sent back to us and you may have to still bear all the shipping costs to get it delivered.
There is no minimum or maximum order value, when your order is worth Rs 2000 and more you would get a discount and you can avail it any time including the current order.you can proceed ordering as much quantity and varieties you can. For corporate orders you are requested to do an online transfer to the bank account instead of paying online on the website.
Yes, we may have seasonal deals and discounts and its not assured always, but then you can always avail a discount when your order is worth Rs. 2000 and more, you can ask for it over the chat or write to us or call directly to the available number on the website.
Yes, we serve custom orders for occasions like Srimantham (Baby shower), Oni function, festivals, small events, marriages, naming ceremonies, etc.
Yes, you can. You have to specifically mention it during your purchase, sometimes it would be chargeable based on the purchase value, product, event/occasions etc.
Yes, you can order at least 7 days in advance. So we make sure it's delivered on time to your door. We serve at least 200+ function/bulk orders every month, the most common functions we serve are the baby shower (Srimantham), Oni function, Naming ceremony etc.
Its an amazing opportunity for the women who has passion for cooking and writing! our platforms allows everyone to share their knowledge and earn in parallel. Now you can utilize your free time for sharing your knowledge on KandraFoods,
- You should be passionate about cooking & related & love sharing the same with the community
- You should be proficient writing in your mother tongue or in English
- You should know the basic email communication and english