- Interesting Facts
- Recipe/Cooking Process
- Why KandraFoods?
- Become a Contributor (Earn by writing)
- Carbohydrates -18.6 g -7%
- Fiber - 5.9 g -21%
- Protein - 5 g -10%
- Calcium - 11 mg -1%
- Potassium -186 mg - 4%
- Iron - 1 mg - 8%
- Sodium-13 mg -1%
- Magnesium - 2 mg -0.5%
- Phosphorus - 4 mg - 0.4%
- Vitamin A - 7 mcg - 0.14%
- Vitamin C - 14 mcg - 23.3%
- Fat - 29.3 g - 38%
- Cholesterol - 0 mg - 0%
- Energy -103 cal
- Urad dal is rich in minerals such as phosphorus and calcium that help with bone and teeth health.
- It also contains magnesium, potassium and iron which are good for the heart, boosts immunity and improves the digestive system.
- Along with the iron content, it is also rich in protein and fiber hence ideal to be included in a weight loss diet and helps to increase the energy levels.
- Rice flour is 100% gluten-free and contains nutrients like calcium and zinc.
- Ghee helps absorb nutrients and can improve the immune system as it contains antioxidants. It can also relieve digestion issues.
- Cardamom powder has antibacterial properties that can kill mouth bacteria and prevent bad breath.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties. It also helps with digestion.
- Other names for Jangri include Amitti, Jahangir, Amriti, Emarti and Omritti.
- Another Indian sweet that can be often confused as Jangri is the popular Jalebi. Both are quite similar in appearance.
- While Jalebi is prepared with maida, Jangri is prepared with urad dal hence, Jangri can be preferred as the healthier one compared to Jalebi.
- In Bangladesh, Jangri is popularly consumed during Ramadan as one of the Iftar items.
- Even though the sweet originates from northern India it is said that the name Jangri was given by the people of Kerala.
Suggested consumable by age groups
- A significant quantity of one or two pieces of Jangri can be consumed by all age groups.
Good times to eat:
- It can be eaten as an evening snack or as a dessert.
Eat along with:
- It can be eaten alongside any Indian snacks.
- It is popularly served with an Indian milk-based sweet called Rabri.
- It also tastes better to eat hot Jangri along with a scoop of ice cream.
When not to eat or eat more often:
- Diabetic patients should avoid consuming.
Story/History of recipe
Jangri is one of the most popular and most loved sweets of India. It originated from Northern India during the Mughal era. It is a fried treat that is soaked in sugar syrup hence has a good balance between both crunchiness and softness. Traditionally, the sweet is fried in ghee which gives it a great aroma and extra taste. It is perfect to share on any special occasion like weddings and festivals like Diwali.
Recipe Ingredients, Preparation Steps and Occasions Served
Watch Recipe Video
Event/Festivals Served/Most Popular During
- Ellu Bella In Chennai From:
- Ellu Bella In Hyderabad From:
- Ellu Bella In Bangalore From:
- Health Benefits of Ellu Bella From:
- Ellu Bella Recipe Preparation Steps From:
- Organic Turmeric Powder From:
The following are the ingredients needed to prepare Jangri,
- Urad dal - 1 ½ cup
- Rice flour - ½ tablespoon
- Sugar - ½ cup
- Lemon juice - 1 teaspoon
- Food color - orange color 3-4 drops
- Saffron - a few strands
- Cardamom powder - 1 teaspoon
- Ghee for frying (optional)
- Water as required for batter and sugar syrup
- Salt a pinch
- Oil for frying.
For preparing the batter:
- Soak urad dal in water for about two hours and grind it into a thick batter that has a consistency similar to that of a Vada batter.
- To this batter add one or two teaspoon rice flour, a pinch of salt and two drops of food color. Mix well.
- Add water if required to maintain the original consistency.
For preparing sugar syrup:
- Heat a saucepan to prepare sugar syrup by adding sugar and water just enough to immerse it.
- Add a teaspoon of lemon juice and two drops of orange food color. Mix them.
- Add cardamom powder and saffron strands and stir them.
- Both food color and saffron give color to the syrup hence make sure to balance both or eliminate any one of the two as per preference.
- Switch off the flame right before it reaches the complete one-string consistency. The syrup should be sticky. Keep this aside and let it be warm.
- Heat a broad and heavy-bottomed pan and add oil a little more than what is required for shallow fry. Maintain the flame at low. Ghee can also be used for frying Jangri.
- Make sure the batter is in the right consistency before preparing Jangris.
- Take the Jangri cloth or alternatively a zip lock cover with a small hole or a piping bag and fill it with the prepared batter.
- The shape of the Jangri is a highlight of the sweet. Practice it first on a plate before trying it in the pan straight away.
- Squeeze the batter into Jangri/flower shape by drawing two big circles where the line is parallel to each other and small swirls on top of it, joining both the lines.
- Once you are ready with the shapes start trying it straight into the hot oil.
- Do not overcrowd the pan and flip it when one side has fried.
- When it has turned crispy and fried well transfer it to a plate or tissue cloth to remove excess oil.
- Drop these fried discs into the prepared sugar syrup and let it soak for a couple of minutes.
- If preferred it can soak for a long time until it absorbs the sugar syrup well and it is ready to eat.
- If stored in an airtight container Jangri can stay fresh for a week.
Quick Access To
Kandra foods ships all over India ( to all the pin codes), and usually it takes 1-4 days to reach the destination based on zones you belong to.
No we don’t charge any extra for shipping the products prices are all inclusive.
The best thing you can do is to ask your security or neighbor to collect it and keep it with them and you can later collect it from them. If you don’t respond the product will be sent back to us and you may have to still bear all the shipping costs to get it delivered.
There is no minimum or maximum order value, when your order is worth Rs 2000 and more you would get a discount and you can avail it any time including the current order.you can proceed ordering as much quantity and varieties you can. For corporate orders you are requested to do an online transfer to the bank account instead of paying online on the website.
Yes, we may have seasonal deals and discounts and its not assured always, but then you can always avail a discount when your order is worth Rs. 2000 and more, you can ask for it over the chat or write to us or call directly to the available number on the website.
Yes, we serve custom orders for occasions like Srimantham (Baby shower), Oni function, festivals, small events, marriages, naming ceremonies, etc.
Yes, you can. You have to specifically mention it during your purchase, sometimes it would be chargeable based on the purchase value, product, event/occasions etc.
Yes, you can order at least 7 days in advance. So we make sure it's delivered on time to your door. We serve at least 200+ function/bulk orders every month, the most common functions we serve are the baby shower (Srimantham), Oni function, Naming ceremony etc.
We don’t have any returns for food items. In case if its any other non perishable product based on the concerns and by validating it by the concerned team we may accept the returns.
Its an amazing opportunity for the women who has passion for cooking and writing! our platforms allows everyone to share their knowledge and earn in parallel. Now you can utilize your free time for sharing your knowledge on KandraFoods,
- You should be passionate about cooking & related & love sharing the same with the community
- You should be proficient writing in your mother tongue or in English
- You should know the basic email communication and english
There are no reviews yet.