- Interesting Facts
- Recipe/Cooking Process
- Why KandraFoods?
- Become a Contributor (Earn by writing)
- Energy - 130 Cal
- Protein - 5 g (10%)
- Carbohydrates -100 g ( 36%)
- Fiber - 2 g ( 5%)
- Fat - 79.6 g (102%)
- Cholesterol - 16 mg ( 5% )
- Vitamin A - 50 mcg ( 1% )
- Calcium - 11 mg ( 1% )
- Iron - 2 mg ( 11% ) Potassium - 66 mg ( 1% )
- Sodium - 32 mg (1% )
- Wheat flour is rich in fiber and helps with digestion and improves gut health.
- The mineral content helps bone health and the vitamins make it the best source of energy.
- Gram flour contains high protein and fiber which makes it ideal for weight loss. It helps to control cholesterol levels and reduce hypertension.
- It is loaded with nutrients and contains vitamins that are healthy for women during their pregnancy.
- It contains magnesium that helps to maintain blood pressure and prevents heart diseases.
- Iron and other minerals help prevent anemia and enhance metabolism.
- It is ideal to be included in a gluten-free diet.
- Ghee helps absorb nutrients and can improve the immune system as it contains antioxidants. It can also relieve digestion issues.
- Cardamom powder has antibacterial properties that can kill mouth bacteria and prevent bad breath.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties. It also helps with digestion.
- Madatha Khaja is a similar sweet popular in Telugu cuisine. It is available in a village called Tapeswaram which is near the city of Kakinada.
- The cylindrical shape is called as Gottam in Telugu hence this sweet is also known as Gottam Khaja.
- Flower Khaja is a similar sweet that has a unique shape and apart from Kakinada, it is also popular in regions of Bihar and Uttar Pradesh.
- Next to Hyderabadi Biryani and Hyderabadi Haleem, Andhra considers Kakinada Khaja, the 130 years old sweet bites as one of the most valued items of their cuisine.
- Kakinada Khaja and Poothrakelu are a couple of traditional delicacies for which Andhra Pradesh has applied to receive the Geographical Indication (GI) tag.
Suggested consumable by age groups
- A significant quantity of two to five small pieces of Kakinada Khaja can be consumed by all age groups.
Good times to eat:
- It is perfect as an evening snack or as a dessert.
Eat along with:
- It can be eaten as it is or alongside any Indian snacks.
When not to eat or eat more often:
- Diabetic patients should avoid consuming.
Story/History of recipe
Khaja in general is an Indian fried pastry. Kakinada Khaja as the name suggests is a special sweet that originated from Kakinada, a city in Andhra Pradesh. This South Indian sweet was first prepared and popularized by Chittipeddi Kotaiah in 1891 which was then continued generations after generations and spread across the country. It is also famously known as Kakinada Kotaiah Khaja. It is prepared by rolling the dough into small cylindrical shapes which are fried and dropped in sugar syrup. It is perfect for any special occasion and a quick delicacy to prepare and share for festivals like Diwali.
Recipe Ingredients, Preparation Steps and Occasions Served
Watch Recipe Video
Event/Festivals Served/Most Popular During
- Ellu Bella In Chennai From:
- Ellu Bella In Hyderabad From:
- Ellu Bella In Bangalore From:
- Health Benefits of Ellu Bella From:
- Ellu Bella Recipe Preparation Steps From:
- Organic Turmeric Powder From:
- In a large mixing bowl, add two cups of flour, a pinch of baking soda, two tablespoons of gram flour and mix well. Add ghee and mix again.
- Add water little by little and knead it into a soft dough. The dough must be soft like chapati dough and have a rubbery texture. Alternatively, maida can be used instead of wheat flour.
- Cover the dough with a white cloth and let it rest for 60-70 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a saucepan with sugar and water to prepare sugar syrup.
- Let it boil and add cardamom powder and stir it.
- Occasionally keep stirring and wait till it attains a sticky consistency then switch off the flame.
- Take the dough, roll it into a log and divide it two.
- Dust flour on a clean and dry flat surface like a chopping board or counter-top.
- Roll one half of the dough into a log and chop it into small pieces with equal shapes.
- Keep it aside and continue the same for the other half of the dough.
- Make sure that each piece is roughly equal to the size of a finger.
- Heat a wide pan with oil for deep frying.
- Check whether the oil is hot enough by dropping a small piece of dough and proceed to fry the pieces if the oil is hot.
- Drop in the pieces gently and make sure not to overcrowd the pan.
- Fry until it floats up. Give it a stir to cook them evenly.
- Transfer them to a strainer or a tissue cloth to remove the excess oil.
- Repeat the same process for all the pieces.
- Now, drop these fried pieces in the sugar syrup. Let it soak until the pieces absorb well.
- Drain from the sugar syrup and it is ready to eat.
- Kakinada Khaja, if stored in an air-tight container, can stay fresh for a week.
Quick Access To
Kandra foods ships all over India ( to all the pin codes), and usually it takes 1-4 days to reach the destination based on zones you belong to.
No we don’t charge any extra for shipping the products prices are all inclusive.
The best thing you can do is to ask your security or neighbor to collect it and keep it with them and you can later collect it from them. If you don’t respond the product will be sent back to us and you may have to still bear all the shipping costs to get it delivered.
There is no minimum or maximum order value, when your order is worth Rs 2000 and more you would get a discount and you can avail it any time including the current order.you can proceed ordering as much quantity and varieties you can. For corporate orders you are requested to do an online transfer to the bank account instead of paying online on the website.
Yes, we may have seasonal deals and discounts and its not assured always, but then you can always avail a discount when your order is worth Rs. 2000 and more, you can ask for it over the chat or write to us or call directly to the available number on the website.
Yes, we serve custom orders for occasions like Srimantham (Baby shower), Oni function, festivals, small events, marriages, naming ceremonies, etc.
Yes, you can. You have to specifically mention it during your purchase, sometimes it would be chargeable based on the purchase value, product, event/occasions etc.
Yes, you can order at least 7 days in advance. So we make sure it's delivered on time to your door. We serve at least 200+ function/bulk orders every month, the most common functions we serve are the baby shower (Srimantham), Oni function, Naming ceremony etc.
We don’t have any returns for food items. In case if its any other non perishable product based on the concerns and by validating it by the concerned team we may accept the returns.
Its an amazing opportunity for the women who has passion for cooking and writing! our platforms allows everyone to share their knowledge and earn in parallel. Now you can utilize your free time for sharing your knowledge on KandraFoods,
- You should be passionate about cooking & related & love sharing the same with the community
- You should be proficient writing in your mother tongue or in English
- You should know the basic email communication and english
More than a century old!!! Very fresh variety of sweets n savouries
Lovely sweets. So tasty, amazing choice and cute packing. Excellent value for money!
Kakinada Kaja sweets look fantastic! All well packaged and quick delivery. I highly recommend them!
Delicious vegan treats, arrived safely and well packaged – thank you