- Jackfruit contains protein, fiber and antioxidants that can prevent cell damage, infection and various chronic diseases like cancer.
- It has a low glycemic index hence can be helpful for controlling blood sugar levels.
- It is a good source of potassium which can help in reducing blood pressure and prevent risk of heart diseases.
- The calcium content in jackfruit strengthens bones and prevents osteoporosis.
- It contains nutrients that can improve the digestive system and prevents constipation and ulcers.
- Vitamins in jackfruit help boost the immune system, prevent various skin problems and protect heart health.
- Turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties that can prevent many chronic diseases like cancer, metabolic syndrome and Alzheimer's disease. It can also boost memory power.
- It helps in increasing the body's own antioxidants.
- According to research, the first ever jackfruit cultivation in India was around 3000 years ago.
- The word jackfruit came from a Portuguese word called Jaca which is originally derived from the Malayalam name of the fruit Chakka.
- Jackfruit is globally recognized as an alternative for meat for vegans and vegetarians. Canned and shredded jackfruit are also referred to as 'vegetable meat' as it has a fleshy texture similar to meat.
- In 2020, the world record in the Guinness Book for the heaviest jackfruit was set. It was harvested in Kerala which weighs more than 51.4 kg and 97 cm in length.
- Seeds of jackfruit are edible, it has a quite nutty flavor and there are many recipes available for jackfruit seeds.
- Jackfruit chips made in Indonesia are called Kripik.
- It is a versatile fruit that is used in both sweets and savouries in South Asian cuisine.
- Almost every part of the jackfruit tree has its own medicinal benefits.
Suggested consumable by age groups
- A bowl of jackfruit chips can be consumed by all age groups.
Good times to eat:
- It can be eaten anytime especially in the evenings.
Eat along with:
- It can be enjoyed as it is or alongside a hot cup of coffee or tea.
When not to eat or eat more often:
- Not advisable to consume more often.
- People allergic to jackfruit shall not consume.
Story/History of recipe
Jackfruit chips are originally from South India which is also the native of this exotic tropical fruit. Jackfruit is one of the prime fruits in Kerala which is also included in their traditional dishes prepared for Onam. Jackfruit chips also known as Chakka Varuthathu in Malayalam is more popular in Kerala than any other state. It is one of the few fruits like bananas that are served as chips. Kerala style Jackfruit Chips are prepared by frying the jackfruit slices in coconut oil.
Recipe Ingredients, Preparation Steps and Occasions Served
To cut jackfruit:
- Place the whole fruit on a newspaper, grease your palm and the knife with a generous amount of oil as the fruit has latex that can stick to your hands or any surface.
- Cut the fruit into half and use a cloth to wipe the latex.
- Leave the center white part and cut the (bulb - like) flesh part. Remove the seeds and keep it aside.
- Cut these bulbs vertically into long slices.
To prepare jackfruit chips:
- Transfer these jackfruit slices into a bowl.
- Dilute turmeric powder and salt in half a cup or less water and add it to the bowl. Mix well.
- In a wide pan, pour oil for deep fry and heat at medium to high flame.
- Once the oil is heated gently drop the jackfruit slices and fry them at medium flame.
- Stir occasionally and take it out once the chips are crispy and golden brown.
- Take them out in a strainer or tissue cloth to remove excess oil.
- This can be stored in an airtight container and can stay fresh for a month.
Start EarningIts an amazing opportunity for the women who has passion for cooking and writing! our platforms allows everyone to share their knowledge and earn in parallel. Now you can utilize your free time for sharing your knowledge on KandraFoods,
- You should be passionate about cooking & related & love sharing the same with the community
- You should be proficient writing in your mother tongue or in English
- You should know the basic email communication and english