- Jackfruit contains protein, fiber and antioxidants that can prevent cell damage, infection and various chronic diseases like cancer.
- It has a low glycemic index hence can be helpful for controlling blood sugar levels.
- It is a good source of potassium which can help in reducing blood pressure and prevent risk of heart diseases.
- The calcium content in jackfruit strengthens bones and prevents osteoporosis.
- It contains nutrients that can improve the digestive system and prevents constipation and ulcers.
- Vitamins in jackfruit help boost the immune system, prevent various skin problems and protect heart health.
- Turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties that can prevent many chronic diseases like cancer, metabolic syndrome and Alzheimer's disease. It can also boost memory power.
- It helps in increasing the body's own antioxidants.
- According to research, the first ever jackfruit cultivation in India was around 3000 years ago.
- The word jackfruit came from a Portuguese word called Jaca which is originally derived from the Malayalam name of the fruit Chakka.
- Jackfruit is globally recognized as an alternative for meat for vegans and vegetarians. Canned and shredded jackfruit are also referred to as 'vegetable meat' as it has a fleshy texture similar to meat.
- In 2020, the world record in the Guinness Book for the heaviest jackfruit was set. It was harvested in Kerala which weighs more than 51.4 kg and 97 cm in length.
- Seeds of jackfruit are edible, it has a quite nutty flavor and there are many recipes available for jackfruit seeds.
- Jackfruit chips made in Indonesia are called Kripik.
- It is a versatile fruit that is used in both sweets and savouries in South Asian cuisine.
- Almost every part of the jackfruit tree has its own medicinal benefits.
Suggested consumable by age groups
- A bowl of jackfruit chips can be consumed by all age groups.
Good times to eat:
- It can be eaten anytime especially in the evenings.
Eat along with:
- It can be enjoyed as it is or alongside a hot cup of coffee or tea.
When not to eat or eat more often:
- Not advisable to consume more often.
- People allergic to jackfruit shall not consume.
Story/History of recipe
Jackfruit chips are originally from South India which is also the native of this exotic tropical fruit. Jackfruit is one of the prime fruits in Kerala which is also included in their traditional dishes prepared for Onam. Jackfruit chips also known as Chakka Varuthathu in Malayalam is more popular in Kerala than any other state. It is one of the few fruits like bananas that are served as chips. Kerala style Jackfruit Chips are prepared by frying the jackfruit slices in coconut oil.
Recipe Ingredients, Preparation Steps and Occasions Served
To cut jackfruit:
- Place the whole fruit on a newspaper, grease your palm and the knife with a generous amount of oil as the fruit has latex that can stick to your hands or any surface.
- Cut the fruit into half and use a cloth to wipe the latex.
- Leave the center white part and cut the (bulb - like) flesh part. Remove the seeds and keep it aside.
- Cut these bulbs vertically into long slices.
To prepare jackfruit chips:
- Transfer these jackfruit slices into a bowl.
- Dilute turmeric powder and salt in half a cup or less water and add it to the bowl. Mix well.
- In a wide pan, pour oil for deep fry and heat at medium to high flame.
- Once the oil is heated gently drop the jackfruit slices and fry them at medium flame.
- Stir occasionally and take it out once the chips are crispy and golden brown.
- Take them out in a strainer or tissue cloth to remove excess oil.
- This can be stored in an airtight container and can stay fresh for a month.
Kandra foods ships all over India ( to all the pin codes), and usually it takes 1-4 days to reach the destination based on zones you belong to.
No we don’t charge any extra for shipping the products prices are all inclusive.
The best thing you can do is to ask your security or neighbor to collect it and keep it with them and you can later collect it from them. If you don’t respond the product will be sent back to us and you may have to still bear all the shipping costs to get it delivered.
There is no minimum or maximum order value, when your order is worth Rs 2000 and more you would get a discount and you can avail it any time including the current order.you can proceed ordering as much quantity and varieties you can. For corporate orders you are requested to do an online transfer to the bank account instead of paying online on the website.
Yes, we may have seasonal deals and discounts and its not assured always, but then you can always avail a discount when your order is worth Rs. 2000 and more, you can ask for it over the chat or write to us or call directly to the available number on the website.
Yes, we serve custom orders for occasions like Srimantham (Baby shower), Oni function, festivals, small events, marriages, naming ceremonies, etc.
Yes, you can. You have to specifically mention it during your purchase, sometimes it would be chargeable based on the purchase value, product, event/occasions etc.
Yes, you can order at least 7 days in advance. So we make sure it's delivered on time to your door. We serve at least 200+ function/bulk orders every month, the most common functions we serve are the baby shower (Srimantham), Oni function, Naming ceremony etc.
Its an amazing opportunity for the women who has passion for cooking and writing! our platforms allows everyone to share their knowledge and earn in parallel. Now you can utilize your free time for sharing your knowledge on KandraFoods,
- You should be passionate about cooking & related & love sharing the same with the community
- You should be proficient writing in your mother tongue or in English
- You should know the basic email communication and english