- Jaggery contains nutrients that will help improve and maintain the immune system.
- It also contains minerals that help in increasing hemoglobin and maintain blood pressure.
- It is rich in iron and can help prevent fatigue and anemia.
- Ghee helps absorb nutrients and can improve the immune system as it contains antioxidants. It can also relieve digestion issues.
- Cardamom powder can kill mouth bacteria and prevent bad breath.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties. It also helps with digestion.
- Gavvalu has many variations like sugar Gavvalu and Bellam Gavvalu which is prepared with sugar and jaggery syrup respectively. The spicy version of the same is known as Karam Gavvalu.
- The name Gavvalu represents its appearance which is similar to the shells of the various species of Cowrie snails.
- Jaggery contains 0% fat and it is ideal to use it as an alternative to sugar. Most Indian sweets are traditionally prepared with jaggery.
- Gavvalu looks similar to the shape of Gnocchi, an Italian dumpling and is prepared in the same way by rolling the dough on a striped wooden board known as Gnocchi board or Gavvalu mold.
- A few bites of Bellam Gavvalu as a dessert after a meal can help with digestion as it has the goodness of jaggery.
- Kidyo is a similar sweet popularly prepared for Christmas in Goa, Mangalore and a few parts of Maharashtra.
Suggested consumable by age groups
- A significant quantity of a small cup of Gavvalu can be consumed by all age groups.
Good times to eat:
- It is perfect as an evening snack.
Eat along with:
- It can be eaten as it is or alongside a cup of tea or coffee.
- It can also be eaten with the spicier version of the same.
When not to eat or eat more often:
- Diabetic patients should avoid consuming.
Story/History of recipe
Gavvalu is originally from Andhra Pradesh, India. The Telugu word ‘Gavvalu’ in English means shells as the dough is flattened on the specific Gavvalu mold which gives it the stripes which is then rolled into a shape of a shell and soaked in sugar/jaggery syrup. It is also popularly known as Sweet Shells. This traditional sweet has an easy and simple recipe and is prepared for special occasions and festivals like Sankranti and Diwali.
Recipe Ingredients, Preparation Steps and Occasions Served
Watch Recipe Video
Event/Festivals Served/Most Popular During
- In a bowl, add all-purpose flour, salt, ghee and baking soda. Mix the contents well.
- Add water little by little and knead it into a soft dough. It should be similar to the consistency of chapati dough.
- Divide it into equal-sized small balls.
- Flatten each of them separately on the Gavvalu mold and roll it one fold like a finger size.
- Repeat the same for the remaining balls and keep them aside.
- Heat a pan with oil for deep fry and fry these pieces until they turn light brown.
- Transfer the fried pieces and place them on a strainer or tissue cloth to remove the excess oil.
- Meanwhile, heat a saucepan with jaggery and water to melt it into a syrup.
- Transfer the syrup to a fresh pan using a filter to remove impurities.
- Let it boil and add a teaspoon of cardamom powder and stir well.
- Wait until it attains soft ball consistency.
- To check, take a small bowl with water and add a few drops of jaggery syrup to it.
- If it is easy to take and roll then the consistency is perfect.
- Switch off the flame and add the fried pieces to it.
- Let it soak for a few minutes and Gavvalu is ready to eat.
- If stored in an airtight container, it can stay fresh for a week.
Kandra foods ships all over India ( to all the pin codes), and usually it takes 1-4 days to reach the destination based on zones you belong to.
No we don’t charge any extra for shipping the products prices are all inclusive.
The best thing you can do is to ask your security or neighbor to collect it and keep it with them and you can later collect it from them. If you don’t respond the product will be sent back to us and you may have to still bear all the shipping costs to get it delivered.
There is no minimum or maximum order value, when your order is worth Rs 2000 and more you would get a discount and you can avail it any time including the current order.you can proceed ordering as much quantity and varieties you can. For corporate orders you are requested to do an online transfer to the bank account instead of paying online on the website.
Yes, we may have seasonal deals and discounts and its not assured always, but then you can always avail a discount when your order is worth Rs. 2000 and more, you can ask for it over the chat or write to us or call directly to the available number on the website.
Yes, we serve custom orders for occasions like Srimantham (Baby shower), Oni function, festivals, small events, marriages, naming ceremonies, etc.
Yes, you can. You have to specifically mention it during your purchase, sometimes it would be chargeable based on the purchase value, product, event/occasions etc.
Yes, you can order at least 7 days in advance. So we make sure it's delivered on time to your door. We serve at least 200+ function/bulk orders every month, the most common functions we serve are the baby shower (Srimantham), Oni function, Naming ceremony etc.
Its an amazing opportunity for the women who has passion for cooking and writing! our platforms allows everyone to share their knowledge and earn in parallel. Now you can utilize your free time for sharing your knowledge on KandraFoods,
- You should be passionate about cooking & related & love sharing the same with the community
- You should be proficient writing in your mother tongue or in English
- You should know the basic email communication and english