- Interesting Facts
- Recipe/Cooking Process
- Why KandraFoods?
- Become a Contributor (Earn by writing)
- Energy - 108 cal
- Protein - 2 g - 4%
- Carbohydrates - 12 g - 4%
- Fiber - 1.8 g - 8%
- Fat - 6 g - 8%
- Cholesterol - 0 mcg - 0%
- Vitamin A - 16 mcg - 1%
- Vitamin B1 - 0.2 mg - 17%
- Vitamin B3 - 0.4 mg - 3%
- Vitamin B9 - 15 mcg - 4%
- Calcium - 118 mg - 9%
- Iron - 1.2 mg - 7%
- Potassium - 53 mg - 1%
- Sodium - 1.2 mg - 0%
- Magnesium - 40 mg - 10%
- Phosphorus - 68 mg - 5%
- Zinc - 1.4 mg - 13%
- Black sesame seeds contain antioxidants that can reduce oxidative stress and thereby it prevents diabetes, cancer and heart diseases.
- It also contains vitamins, iron and anti-aging properties that help to improve hair and skin health.
- It is rich in nutrition with healthy unsaturated fats which lowers the cholesterol and reduces the risk of heart disease.
- Jaggery contains nutrients that will help improve and maintain the immune system.
- It also contains minerals that help in increasing haemoglobin and maintain blood pressure.
- It is rich in iron and can help prevent fatigue and anemia.
- Both peanuts and roasted gram are loaded with protein and fibre that can boost energy.
- They are also filled with minerals that can improve muscle, brain and heart health.
- Out of all the oilseed crops, sesame seeds are considered to be the oldest and the one with the highest level of oil content. It is said that it has been in use for almost 5000 years ago.
- Ellu Mittai can also be prepared with white sesame seeds or both black and white.
- Black sesame seeds are said to be more nutritious and crunchy compared to the white sesame seeds.
Suggested consumable by age groups
- A significant amount of 1-2 pieces can be enjoyed by all age groups.
Good times to eat:
- It can be enjoyed anytime.
- Eating a piece after a heavy meal can help with digestion.
Eat along with:
- IIt can be eaten as it is.
When not to eat or eat more often:
- People who are allergic to sesame seeds should avoid consuming.
- Diabetic patients shall not eat often.
- For pregnant women it is better to consult with the doctor before consuming.
Story/History of recipe
India has a wide range of nuts and jaggery based sweet bars. In Tamilnadu, Kovilpatti is the hub for such sweets. Along with their notable and widely popular peanut bar/ kadalai mittai, it is also famous for other such sweet treats and Ellu Mittai is one of them. Ellu Mittai is a highly nutritious brittle which has been prepared for many decades. These are prepared for special occasions and festivals like Diwali, Ganesh Chaturthi and Krishna Jayanti. Considering the health benefits of the main ingredients it has become one of the common household treats.
Recipe Ingredients, Preparation Steps and Occasions Served
Watch Recipe Video
Event/Festivals Served/Most Popular During
- Rinse black sesame seeds with water and clean well.
- Dry roast it at medium flame until it starts popping.
- Once the popping sound has stopped, turn off the flame and keep it aside.
- In a pan add jaggery and water. At medium flame melt the jaggery into syrup.
- Transfer this syrup into a fresh pan using a filter.
- Let boil at low to medium flame. Keep stirring until it thickens.
- It needs to reach hard ball consistency.
- To check it, take water in a small plate and add a few drops of jaggery syrup in it. Now try rolling the syrup when it can be rolled into a ball you should hear a thud if you drop it on a flat surface.
- At this stage when the consistency is perfect, lower the flame, add roasted sesame seeds, peanuts or roasted gram or both and mix well.
- Mix it quickly, do not let it stick to the pan and mix it into a soft and loose dough.
- Meanwhile grease a flat plate or tray with ghee or oil and keep it ready.
- Once the contents have mixed well transfer it to the tray and flatten it with thickness of your choice.
- While it is hot cut them into desired pieces with a greased knife, keep it aside and let it set.
- After around ten to twenty minutes when it has set well, remove the pieces and store them in an airtight container. It can stay fresh for a month.
Kandra foods ships all over India ( to all the pin codes), and usually it takes 1-4 days to reach the destination based on zones you belong to.
No we don’t charge any extra for shipping the products prices are all inclusive.
The best thing you can do is to ask your security or neighbor to collect it and keep it with them and you can later collect it from them. If you don’t respond the product will be sent back to us and you may have to still bear all the shipping costs to get it delivered.
There is no minimum or maximum order value, when your order is worth Rs 2000 and more you would get a discount and you can avail it any time including the current order.you can proceed ordering as much quantity and varieties you can. For corporate orders you are requested to do an online transfer to the bank account instead of paying online on the website.
Yes, we may have seasonal deals and discounts and its not assured always, but then you can always avail a discount when your order is worth Rs. 2000 and more, you can ask for it over the chat or write to us or call directly to the available number on the website.
Yes, we serve custom orders for occasions like Srimantham (Baby shower), Oni function, festivals, small events, marriages, naming ceremonies, etc.
Yes, you can. You have to specifically mention it during your purchase, sometimes it would be chargeable based on the purchase value, product, event/occasions etc.
Yes, you can order at least 7 days in advance. So we make sure it's delivered on time to your door. We serve at least 200+ function/bulk orders every month, the most common functions we serve are the baby shower (Srimantham), Oni function, Naming ceremony etc.
Its an amazing opportunity for the women who has passion for cooking and writing! our platforms allows everyone to share their knowledge and earn in parallel. Now you can utilize your free time for sharing your knowledge on KandraFoods,
- You should be passionate about cooking & related & love sharing the same with the community
- You should be proficient writing in your mother tongue or in English
- You should know the basic email communication and english