Story/History of recipe
Drumstick which is loaded with vitamins and minerals is an Indian native plant that is commonly used in Indian cuisine and Indian traditional medicines. Drumstick pickle or Murrungaka pickle is a south Indian special pickle variety. Though it is not one of the traditionally used vegetables for pickles it has become a favorite for all age groups in recent times. This can be a great side dish for south Indian meals and other items like dosas and chappatis.
Recipe Ingredients, Preparation Steps and Occasions Served
Watch Recipe Video
Event/Festivals Served/Most Popular During
The following are the ingredients needed for preparing Drumstick pickle,
- Drumstick - 3 to 5 numbers
- Tamarind - less than a handful
- Garlic - 8 numbers (chopped)
- Dry red chillies - 5 numbers
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
- Fenugreek seeds powder - 1/4 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder - 1/4 cup
- Turmeric powder - 1 teaspoon
- Asafoetida / Hing - 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt - as required
- Oil - 1/2 cup
- Soak tamarind in hot water for around fifteen minutes. Use a filter to extract the pulp and set this aside.
- Rinse and clean the drumsticks with water and dry it with a white cloth. Remove the end tips and cut them into one and a half-sized equal pieces.
- Heat a pan with four tablespoons of oil and fry the drumstick pieces only until it changes color. Remove them and keep them aside.
- Pour the remaining oil and roast mustard seeds, cumin seeds, dry red chillies, garlic and curry leaves for a couple of minutes.
- Add tamarind pulp, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, fenugreek powder, asafoetida and salt.
- Cook the contents until it thickens and add more oil if required.
- Finally, add the fried drumstick. Switch off the flame and give it a good mix.
- Transfer the contents to an airtight container or a jar. It tastes better if served after it has rested for a day or two.
- Drumstick is rich in proteins and essential amino acids and has nutrients that can boost immunity and can control body temperature.
- The calcium content helps in strengthening teeth and bones. The iron content increases the energy levels.
- It helps in lowering blood sugar levels and reduces bad cholesterol hence can be helpful for weight loss and can prevent the risk of heart diseases.
- It contains a good amount of iron that can prevent anemia and help in increasing hemoglobin.
- It also contains antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Tamarind has micronutrients called polyphenols that can help prevent chronic diseases such as cancer and cardiovascular issues.
- It is loaded with magnesium which can help lower blood cholesterol and pressure levels thereby it promotes heart health.
- Antioxidants present in tamarind remove free radicals and prevents oxidative damage.
- It has antibacterial and antifungal properties hence can be helpful in curing such related infections.
- Garlic is one of the best options to boost the immune system. The vitamins and other nutrients help with curing common illnesses. Regular consumption of a significant amount of garlic may also help prevent chronic diseases such as cancer.
- Antioxidants in garlic support brain health and help in reducing the risk of Alzheimer's disease and dementia.
- Turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties that can prevent many chronic diseases like cancer, metabolic syndrome and Alzheimer's disease. It can also boost memory power.
- It helps in increasing the body's own antioxidants.
- Drumstick popularly used in Indian and African cuisines. Every part of the drumstick plant which is also known as the Moringa plant is consumable hence different varieties of dishes can be made with each and every component of the plant.
- Drumstick leaves are rich in nutrition and are included in traditional medicines.
- Drumsticks are popularly produced as a dietary supplement in a capsule or powder form in Western medicine but it is said that consumption of freshly cooked drumsticks is more nutritious compared to this.
- In many developing countries drumsticks are part of vegetables that are an important source of essential nutrients.
- Given the abundant nutritional and medicinal properties the drumstick plant is popularly known as the ‘the miracle moringa’ or ‘the miracle tree/plant’.
Suggested consumable by age groups
- A significant quantity of one or two drumstick pods can be consumed by all age groups.
Good times to eat:
- It is perfect for lunchtime alongside curd rice.
Eat along with:
- It can be eaten alongside Indian lunch or tiffin varieties
When not to eat or eat more often:
- It is advisable to eat in moderation.
Kandra foods ships all over India ( to all the pin codes), and usually it takes 1-4 days to reach the destination based on zones you belong to.
No we don’t charge any extra for shipping the products prices are all inclusive.
The best thing you can do is to ask your security or neighbor to collect it and keep it with them and you can later collect it from them. If you don’t respond the product will be sent back to us and you may have to still bear all the shipping costs to get it delivered.
There is no minimum or maximum order value, when your order is worth Rs 2000 and more you would get a discount and you can avail it any time including the current order.you can proceed ordering as much quantity and varieties you can. For corporate orders you are requested to do an online transfer to the bank account instead of paying online on the website.
Yes, we may have seasonal deals and discounts and its not assured always, but then you can always avail a discount when your order is worth Rs. 2000 and more, you can ask for it over the chat or write to us or call directly to the available number on the website.
Yes, we serve custom orders for occasions like Srimantham (Baby shower), Oni function, festivals, small events, marriages, naming ceremonies, etc.
Yes, you can. You have to specifically mention it during your purchase, sometimes it would be chargeable based on the purchase value, product, event/occasions etc.
Yes, you can order at least 7 days in advance. So we make sure it's delivered on time to your door. We serve at least 200+ function/bulk orders every month, the most common functions we serve are the baby shower (Srimantham), Oni function, Naming ceremony etc.
Its an amazing opportunity for the women who has passion for cooking and writing! our platforms allows everyone to share their knowledge and earn in parallel. Now you can utilize your free time for sharing your knowledge on KandraFoods,
- You should be passionate about cooking & related & love sharing the same with the community
- You should be proficient writing in your mother tongue or in English
- You should know the basic email communication and english