- Urad dal is loaded with protein and fibre that can increase the energy levels
- It also contains minerals such as phosphorus and calcium that helps with bone and teeth health.
- Roasted gram is rich in protein and minerals that boosts immunity and improves bone, muscle and heart health.
- Coconut milk contains several vitamins and minerals that help to lower the blood pressure.
Suggested consumable by age groups
- A significant quantity of 2 - 3 can be enjoyed by all age groups.
Good times to eat:
- It is perfect as an evening snack.
Eat along with:
- This can be eaten alongside a hot cup of tea or coffee
When not to eat or eat more often:
- As it is a deep fried snack it is better to avoid consuming often.
- It is advised not to consume more as it contains coconut milk which can increase cholesterol.
Story/History of recipe
Murukku, a popular Indian snack that is originally from Tamil Nadu has many varieties. Variations are made by including interesting ingredients to the basic main ingredients, rice flour and urad dal flour. One such different variety is Thenga Paal Murukku. Murukku in general, is a type of savoury but adding coconut milk to it gives a sweet touch. It is traditionally prepared in South India and Sri Lanka. Like other varieties, it is also specially made for festivals like Diwali, Krishna Jayanti and many more.
Recipe Ingredients, Preparation Steps and Occasions Served
Watch Recipe Video
Event/Festivals Served/Most Popular During
The following are the ingredients needed to prepare around 8 - 10 Thengai Paal Murukku,
- Raw rice flour - 2 cups
- Urad dal flour - 2 tablespoons (dry roasted for a few seconds before grinding, do not let turn brown)
- Roasted gram flour - 2 tablespoons (dry roasted for a few seconds, do not let it turn brown)
- Coconut milk - 1 cup (take two cups of grated coconut, grind and strain to get thick milk)
- Butter/ghee - 1 tablespoon
- Cumin seeds or sesame seeds - 1 teaspoon (roasted)
- Asafoetida/Hing - a pinch
- Salt as required
- Water - if required for dough
- Oil as required for deep fry.
For preparing dough:
- Take a large bowl, add rice flour, urad dal flour, roasted gram flour, cumin or sesame seeds, asafoetida, salt and butter. Mix them well.
- Add coconut milk little by little. Do not add more than what will be required for a soft dough.
- Knead the contents well and add more coconut milk or water only if it is required.
For preparing Thengai Paal Murukku:
- Take a heavy bottomed pan, add oil as required for deep fry and heat at medium flame.
- Meanwhile, fill the murukku maker/mould with the prepared dough. You can grease it with oil if you want.
- Check whether the oil has heated.
- Squeeze the dough into a murukku shape either directly into the oil or on a spatula first and then gently drop it into oil.
- Flip it so that it is evenly cooked.
- Once the bubbles have stopped you can take it out and place it on a strainer or tissue paper to remove the excess oil.
- Repeat the same for remaining dough. Maintain with the medium flame and do not let it turn brown colour.
- Once it is done it can be stored in an airtight container and enjoyed for over a week.
Kandra foods ships all over India ( to all the pin codes), and usually it takes 1-4 days to reach the destination based on zones you belong to.
No we don’t charge any extra for shipping the products prices are all inclusive.
The best thing you can do is to ask your security or neighbor to collect it and keep it with them and you can later collect it from them. If you don’t respond the product will be sent back to us and you may have to still bear all the shipping costs to get it delivered.
There is no minimum or maximum order value, when your order is worth Rs 2000 and more you would get a discount and you can avail it any time including the current order.you can proceed ordering as much quantity and varieties you can. For corporate orders you are requested to do an online transfer to the bank account instead of paying online on the website.
Yes, we may have seasonal deals and discounts and its not assured always, but then you can always avail a discount when your order is worth Rs. 2000 and more, you can ask for it over the chat or write to us or call directly to the available number on the website.
Yes, we serve custom orders for occasions like Srimantham (Baby shower), Oni function, festivals, small events, marriages, naming ceremonies, etc.
Yes, you can. You have to specifically mention it during your purchase, sometimes it would be chargeable based on the purchase value, product, event/occasions etc.
Yes, you can order at least 7 days in advance. So we make sure it's delivered on time to your door. We serve at least 200+ function/bulk orders every month, the most common functions we serve are the baby shower (Srimantham), Oni function, Naming ceremony etc.
Its an amazing opportunity for the women who has passion for cooking and writing! our platforms allows everyone to share their knowledge and earn in parallel. Now you can utilize your free time for sharing your knowledge on KandraFoods,
- You should be passionate about cooking & related & love sharing the same with the community
- You should be proficient writing in your mother tongue or in English
- You should know the basic email communication and english