- Red rice is loaded with fiber that can improve digestive health and prevents constipation. It also helps with regular functioning of the body.
- Along with fiber it has zero fat hence ideal to be included in a weight loss diet.
- It contains antioxidants that can remove free radicals and promotes skin health.
- It has a lower glycemic index which is beneficial for people with type 2 diabetes.
- It has vitamins and minerals like iron that can lower the bad cholesterol level and prevent heart diseases.
- The magnesium content helps with oxygen circulation and thereby prevents asthma and fatigue.
- Jaggery contains nutrients that will help improve and maintain the immune system.
- It also contains minerals that help in increasing haemoglobin and maintain blood pressure.
- As it is rich in iron it can help prevent fatigue and anemia.
- It helps improve the digestive system and prevent constipation.
- White sesame seeds are rich in nutrition with healthy unsaturated fats which lowers the cholesterol and reduces the risk of heart disease.
- The magnesium and calcium content in sesame seeds improves bone health and immune system.
- Cashews contain healthy fats, protein and calcium which improves brain and bone health.
- It also has antioxidants and helps in prevention of inflammation and other diseases.
- It is packed with minerals like magnesium and iron. It can help with reducing the risk of heart diseases, lowering blood pressure and cholesterol and preventing anemia.
- Dry Coconut contains saturated fats that are accumulated to produce energy.
- They are rich in fiber and help improve the digestive system and heart health.
- Antioxidants in coconut can improve the immune system and reduce the risk of inflammation.
- Cardamom powder has anti bacterial and anti inflammatory properties. It also helps with digestion.
- Other variations or styles of thambittu include hurigadale thambittunde or hasi/akki thambittunde which are prepared with roasted gram and white rice respectively.
- In the Hindu tradition, thambittunde is also prepared in the form of deepa (lamps) instead of round balls and it is lit to worship god.
- Red rice contains more protein and fiber compared to white rice hence, it is a healthier alternative for white rice.
- Rice is one of top three leading food crops and there are around 40000 variants of rice available in the world.
- Red rice can be more healthier as it contains many essential nutrients and has antioxidants that are ten times more than brown rice.
- Dry coconut increases the existing oil content in coconut by 30-40%
Suggested consumable by age groups
- A significant amount of 2-3 balls of Thambittunde can be enjoyed by all age groups.
Good times to eat:
- It is perfect to eat in the evenings.
Eat along with:
- It can be eaten as it is or alongside tea or coffee and savouries.
When not to eat or eat more often:
- People with diabetes should avoid consuming often.
- Coconut can increase cholesterol hence it is advisable not to consume often.
Story/History of recipe
Thambittunde is a Karnataka special laddu /sweet that has been in the tradition for many decades. It is prepared with fiber rich red rice and other healthy ingredients like jaggery and coconut. It is famously included as one of the offerings during pujas, special yearly religious practices and festivals like Shivaratri.
Recipe Ingredients, Preparation Steps and Occasions Served
- Take around one and a half cup of raw red rice rinse with water and wash 2-3 times.
- Drain the excess water and let it dry for a few minutes by spreading them on a white cloth.
- Heat a pan at low to medium flame and dry fry the red rice. Fry until it starts to puff up and pop.
- Transfer it to a blender, grind it into fine flour and keep it aside.
- Dry roast white sesame seeds similarly, grind it into fine powder and keep it aside.
- Fry roughly chopped cashews in ghee until it turns light brown and keep this aside as well.
- In a different pan, add jaggery and water as required to immerse it in and let it melt.
- Transfer the melted jaggery to a fresh pan using a filter to remove any impurities.
- Melt the jaggery until it starts to thicken and reach one string consistency.
- To test, take a small bowl of water and drop a few drops of jaggery syrup. Using the thumb and index finger check whether it has one string consistency.
- At this stage, add a pinch of salt, a cup of red rice flour, white sesame seeds powder, cardamom powder and roasted cashews with ghee.
- Mix the contents well and switch off the flame.
- Once it has mixed completely grease your palm with ghee or dust with flour and roll the dough like mixture into small or medium sized balls.
- Prepared Thambittunde can be stored in an airtight container and can be enjoyed for a week.
Start EarningIts an amazing opportunity for the women who has passion for cooking and writing! our platforms allows everyone to share their knowledge and earn in parallel. Now you can utilize your free time for sharing your knowledge on KandraFoods,
- You should be passionate about cooking & related & love sharing the same with the community
- You should be proficient writing in your mother tongue or in English
- You should know the basic email communication and english