- Interesting Facts
- Recipe/Cooking Process
- Why KandraFoods?
- Become a Contributor (Earn by writing)
- Carbohydrates - 48 g
- Fiber - 2 g
- Protein - 1 g
- Calcium - 25 mg
- Potassium - 1736 mg
- Iron - 2 mg
- Tamarind has micronutrients called polyphenols that can help prevent chronic diseases such as cancer and cardiovascular issues.
- It is loaded with magnesium which can help lower blood cholesterol and pressure levels thereby it promotes heart health.
- Antioxidants present in tamarind remove free radicals and prevent oxidative damage.
- It has antibacterial and antifungal properties hence can be helpful in curing such related infections.
- Jaggery contains nutrients that will help improve and maintain the immune system.
- It also contains minerals that help in increasing hemoglobin and maintain blood pressure.
- It is rich in iron and can help prevent fatigue and anemia
- Ginger has antioxidants that prevent oxidative stress and boosts immunity.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties that can help with muscle pain and menstrual cramps.
- It can prevent nausea, morning sickness, gastrointestinal problems. It can also help relieve constipation.
- Garlic is one of the best options to boost the immune system. The vitamins and other nutrients help with curing common illnesses. Regular consumption of a significant amount of garlic may also help prevent chronic diseases such as cancer.
- Antioxidants in garlic support brain health and help in reducing the risk of Alzheimer's disease and dementia.
- A very similar pickle of Andhra Pradesh is known as Chintakaya Pachadi is prepared with raw tamarind.
- India is the largest producer of tamarind in the world. It is originally from Africa but is widely cultivated in India and Latin America.
- The name tamarind is derived from Arabic and it means ‘Date of India‘. It is also popularly called Tamarindus.
- Tamarind is commonly used in Asian cuisines and traditional medicines.
- Tamarind is very versatile, from cold drinks and condiments to main dishes it goes well with both sweet and savory and is beneficial in many ways. It is included in home remedies for many illnesses.
Suggested consumable by age groups
- A significant quantity of one or two tablespoons of tamarind pickle can be consumed by all age groups.
Good times to eat:
- It is perfect for lunchtime alongside curd rice.
Eat along with:
- It can be eaten alongside lunch or tiffin varieties
When not to eat or eat more often:
- It is advisable to eat in moderation.
Story/History of recipe
Tamarind is one of the common ingredients in Indian pickles. Its pulp acts as a pickling agent and gives the sour flavor. While most Indian pickles have spiciness as the dominant flavor, tamarind pickle also has a bit of sweetness. Apart from the usual Indian spices, Tamarind pickle is prepared by including jaggery in. All the ingredients combine together and give a nice twist of flavors. It is one of the common pickles that is prepared and stored in Indian households. Similar to sweet and sour tamarind pickle, tamarind and ginger pickle is also popular in South India.
Recipe Ingredients, Preparation Steps and Occasions Served
Watch Recipe Video
Event/Festivals Served/Most Popular During
- Ellu Bella In Chennai From:
- Ellu Bella In Hyderabad From:
- Ellu Bella In Bangalore From:
- Health Benefits of Ellu Bella From:
- Ellu Bella Recipe Preparation Steps From:
- Organic Turmeric Powder From:
The following are the ingredients needed to prepare Tamarind pickle,
- Tamarind - ½ cup
- Jaggery - 2 tablespoons (grated)
- Ginger garlic paste - 2 teaspoons
- Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
- Fenugreek seeds - 1 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds - 1 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder - 1 tablespoon or as preferred
- Asafoetida / Hing - ¼ teaspoon
- Salt as required
- Oil as required
- Curry leaves - 5-7 leaves
- Soak half a cup of tamarind in hot water for around 10 - 15 minutes
- Dry roast the spices like mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds and red chilli. Grind them into a coarse powder.
- Heat a pan with oil, add mustard seeds, ginger garlic paste and curry leaves. Sauté well and add the ground powder, asafoetida and salt.
- Drain the soaked tamarind and add the paste to the pan. Add grated jaggery and mix all the contents.
- Let the contents cook for a few minutes until the oil starts to separate in the corner.
- Switch off the flame and transfer it to a clean and dry jar.
- Let it rest for two days and it is perfect to serve. Make sure to use a clean and dry spoon only.
Quick Access To
Kandra foods ships all over India ( to all the pin codes), and usually it takes 1-4 days to reach the destination based on zones you belong to.
No we don’t charge any extra for shipping the products prices are all inclusive.
The best thing you can do is to ask your security or neighbor to collect it and keep it with them and you can later collect it from them. If you don’t respond the product will be sent back to us and you may have to still bear all the shipping costs to get it delivered.
There is no minimum or maximum order value, when your order is worth Rs 2000 and more you would get a discount and you can avail it any time including the current order.you can proceed ordering as much quantity and varieties you can. For corporate orders you are requested to do an online transfer to the bank account instead of paying online on the website.
Yes, we may have seasonal deals and discounts and its not assured always, but then you can always avail a discount when your order is worth Rs. 2000 and more, you can ask for it over the chat or write to us or call directly to the available number on the website.
Yes, we serve custom orders for occasions like Srimantham (Baby shower), Oni function, festivals, small events, marriages, naming ceremonies, etc.
Yes, you can. You have to specifically mention it during your purchase, sometimes it would be chargeable based on the purchase value, product, event/occasions etc.
Yes, you can order at least 7 days in advance. So we make sure it's delivered on time to your door. We serve at least 200+ function/bulk orders every month, the most common functions we serve are the baby shower (Srimantham), Oni function, Naming ceremony etc.
We don’t have any returns for food items. In case if its any other non perishable product based on the concerns and by validating it by the concerned team we may accept the returns.
Its an amazing opportunity for the women who has passion for cooking and writing! our platforms allows everyone to share their knowledge and earn in parallel. Now you can utilize your free time for sharing your knowledge on KandraFoods,
- You should be passionate about cooking & related & love sharing the same with the community
- You should be proficient writing in your mother tongue or in English
- You should know the basic email communication and english
There are no reviews yet.