- Cassava is a rich source of carbohydrates and starch. It improves energy levels, boosts gut health, enhances brain function and prevents digestive issues.
- It is gluten free and nut free hence can be included in a balanced diet along with other food. It can also be included in a weight loss diet.
- The vitamins and minerals in cassava help in improving vision, digestive health and can cure headaches and migraine.
- Cassava chips or Stick chips are popular in Indonesia and are called Kripik Singkong.
- Next to rice and maize, cassava is the third largest source of carbohydrates that is considered as a major staple in many developing countries.
- Cassava is a popular drought tolerant crop that is grown in tropical regions. It should not be eaten raw as it is unsafe to consume without proper cooking.
- Cassava is said to be naturally free from allergens hence can be consumed without any fear of any allergic reactions.
- Largest producer of cassava in the world is Nigeria and Thailand is the largest exporter of cassava starch.
- Other Indian names for cassava are Kuchi Kizhangu or Maravalli Kizhangu in Tamil, Kappa in Malayalam, Kavva pendalam in Telugu, Mara Genasu in Kannada and Simla Aloo in Hindi.
Suggested consumable by age groups
- A significant quantity of a small bowl of Stick chips can be enjoyed by all age groups.
Good times to eat:
- It is perfect as an evening snack.
Eat along with:
- This can be eaten as it is or alongside a hot cup of coffee or tea.
- It can also be served with ketchup.
When not to eat or eat more often:
- Not advisable to consume often as it is a deep fried snack.
- Should be cooked well and consumed in moderation to prevent serious side effects.
Story/History of recipe
Stick chips is a popular South Indian snack. It is similar to round tapioca chips which come in two varieties, salted and spicy. It is more famous in Kerala where it is called as Kappa Varuthathu. In Kerala, Kappa or Cassava root is peeled, sliced and fried well in coconut oil. Stick chips are also available in Sri Lanka and Indonesia. With a few variations these are also prepared with potatoes.
Recipe Ingredients, Preparation Steps and Occasions Served
Watch Recipe Video
Event/Festivals Served/Most Popular During
- Cut and remove both the tips and peel the hard skin of cassava. Rinse it well.
- Cut them into thin slices using a slicer with Julienne blade.
- Stack the slices together and again slice them into thin strips in the same blade.
- Heat a pan with oil required for deep fry at a high flame.
- Check whether the oil is heat enough and start frying the Cassava strips batch by batch.
- Gently give it a stir while frying and let it fry for a few minutes until it turns light golden brown.
- Take it out and transfer it to a strainer to remove excess oil.
- After the last batch switch off the flame and fry the coriander leaves in the same pan.
- Meanwhile mix the required salt and red chilli powder in a small bowl.
- Add this mix to the fried chips, toss and make sure it has mixed well.
- Garnish the chips with the fried coriander leaves.
- This can be stored in an airtight container and can stay fresh for more than a week.
Kandra foods ships all over India ( to all the pin codes), and usually it takes 1-4 days to reach the destination based on zones you belong to.
No we don’t charge any extra for shipping the products prices are all inclusive.
The best thing you can do is to ask your security or neighbor to collect it and keep it with them and you can later collect it from them. If you don’t respond the product will be sent back to us and you may have to still bear all the shipping costs to get it delivered.
There is no minimum or maximum order value, when your order is worth Rs 2000 and more you would get a discount and you can avail it any time including the current order.you can proceed ordering as much quantity and varieties you can. For corporate orders you are requested to do an online transfer to the bank account instead of paying online on the website.
Yes, we may have seasonal deals and discounts and its not assured always, but then you can always avail a discount when your order is worth Rs. 2000 and more, you can ask for it over the chat or write to us or call directly to the available number on the website.
Yes, we serve custom orders for occasions like Srimantham (Baby shower), Oni function, festivals, small events, marriages, naming ceremonies, etc.
Yes, you can. You have to specifically mention it during your purchase, sometimes it would be chargeable based on the purchase value, product, event/occasions etc.
Yes, you can order at least 7 days in advance. So we make sure it's delivered on time to your door. We serve at least 200+ function/bulk orders every month, the most common functions we serve are the baby shower (Srimantham), Oni function, Naming ceremony etc.
Its an amazing opportunity for the women who has passion for cooking and writing! our platforms allows everyone to share their knowledge and earn in parallel. Now you can utilize your free time for sharing your knowledge on KandraFoods,
- You should be passionate about cooking & related & love sharing the same with the community
- You should be proficient writing in your mother tongue or in English
- You should know the basic email communication and english