- Plantain is rich in carbohydrates and fiber that helps in improving the bowel movements and prevents constipation, hemorrhoids and other digestive issues.
- It contains vitamins that can act as antioxidants and helps remove free radicals, preventing the risk of heart diseases and cancer.
- It is loaded with potassium that can help with balancing body fluids and lowering of blood pressure levels and cholesterol.
- Jaggery is rich in minerals which will help improve and maintain the immune system.
- It also helps in increasing hemoglobin and maintaining blood pressure.
- The antioxidants and other vitamins in jaggery makes it a natural cleanser for our body and has anti aging properties for skin.
- As it is rich in iron it can help prevent fatigue and anemia.
- It contains nutrients that improves digestion and relieves constipation.
- Cardamom powder can kill mouth bacteria and prevent bad breath.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties. It also helps with digestion.
- has healing properties that can relieve inflammation, nausea and any injuries.
- The thermogenic properties help boost metabolism, burn fat and improve digestion.
- It also helps with lowering cholesterol levels and maintaining blood sugar.
- has nutrients that can prevent many chronic diseases like cancer, metabolic syndrome and Alzheimer's disease. It can also boost memory power.
- A similar snack is also popular in Indonesia where it is called Kripik pisang.
- Fried plantain chips are known as chifle in America and are also consumed along with muesli for breakfast.
- Sharkara Upperi or Banana chips are one of the top famous Kerala recipes.
- Plantain is a great source of potassium and dietary fiber and it is a popular staple food in many countries.
- Plantains are highly versatile, it can be consumed in different ways except raw form and goes well with both sweet and spicy flavors.
- Plantains are regularly included in Latin American, Caribbean and Asian cuisines.
Suggested consumable by age groups
- A small bowl of Sharkara Upperi can be enjoyed by all age groups.
Good times to eat:
- It can be eaten anytime or as an evening snack.
Eat along with:
- It can be eaten as it is or alongside any savory snack.
When not to eat or eat more often:
- It is advisable not to eat often as it is a deep fried snack.
- Diabetic patients should avoid consuming.
Story/History of recipe
Sharkara Upperi is originally from Kerala, South India. It is a sweetened chips variety that is prepared with plantain and jaggery. It is a famous snack that is also a part of Onam Sadhya, the traditional feast of Kerala served during the Onam festival. These can also be made with dessert bananas and the savory version of the same where it is coated with spicy masala instead of jaggery is also available.
Recipe Ingredients, Preparation Steps and Occasions Served
- Cut and remove the tips of plantains and peel off its skin.
- Cut plantain into small semi circles and add it into a bowl of water.
- Add a quarter teaspoon of turmeric powder and mix them well. Drain the water and keep the bowl of plantain aside.
- In a wide heavy bottomed pan, pour oil as required for deep fry and heat it at a high flame.
- Once the oil is heated add all the cut pieces of plantain and fry them until it turns light brown.
- Occasionally stir and when it has attained the desired color and crispness gently transfer them to a strainer to remove excess oil.
- In a different pan, add jaggery with water as required to immerse it and melt it at medium to high flame.
- Filter the jaggery syrup to remove impurities and transfer it to a fresh pan.
- Keep stirring and let the syrup thicken.
- At this stage, add the fried plantain to this thick syrup of jaggery and mix well. Make sure the pieces are completely coated with the jaggery syrup.
- Add cardamom powder and dry ginger powder and mix well. Turn off the flame.
- Now add two tablespoons of sugar and mix well.
- The plantain should not be sticky and should be able to grab it as dry individual pieces. You can add a tablespoon of rice flour if required.
- This can be stored in an airtight container and can be enjoyed for a week.
Kandra foods ships all over India ( to all the pin codes), and usually it takes 1-4 days to reach the destination based on zones you belong to.
No we don’t charge any extra for shipping the products prices are all inclusive.
The best thing you can do is to ask your security or neighbor to collect it and keep it with them and you can later collect it from them. If you don’t respond the product will be sent back to us and you may have to still bear all the shipping costs to get it delivered.
There is no minimum or maximum order value, when your order is worth Rs 2000 and more you would get a discount and you can avail it any time including the current order.you can proceed ordering as much quantity and varieties you can. For corporate orders you are requested to do an online transfer to the bank account instead of paying online on the website.
Yes, we may have seasonal deals and discounts and its not assured always, but then you can always avail a discount when your order is worth Rs. 2000 and more, you can ask for it over the chat or write to us or call directly to the available number on the website.
Yes, we serve custom orders for occasions like Srimantham (Baby shower), Oni function, festivals, small events, marriages, naming ceremonies, etc.
Yes, you can. You have to specifically mention it during your purchase, sometimes it would be chargeable based on the purchase value, product, event/occasions etc.
Yes, you can order at least 7 days in advance. So we make sure it's delivered on time to your door. We serve at least 200+ function/bulk orders every month, the most common functions we serve are the baby shower (Srimantham), Oni function, Naming ceremony etc.
Its an amazing opportunity for the women who has passion for cooking and writing! our platforms allows everyone to share their knowledge and earn in parallel. Now you can utilize your free time for sharing your knowledge on KandraFoods,
- You should be passionate about cooking & related & love sharing the same with the community
- You should be proficient writing in your mother tongue or in English
- You should know the basic email communication and english