- Interesting Facts
- Recipe/Cooking Process
- Why KandraFoods?
- Become a Contributor (Earn by writing)
- Energy - 120 cal
- Protein - 3.2 g - 6%
- Carbohydrates - 10.6 g -4%
- Fiber - 2.4 g - 9%
- Fat - 7.4 g - 9%
- Cholesterol - 0 mg - 0%
- Vitamin A 13.2 mcg 0%
- Vitamin B1 0.2 mg 17%
- Vitamin B3 1 mg 6%
- Vitamin B9 24.2 mcg 6%
- Vitamin E 0.4 mg 3%
- Calcium 126 mg 10%
- Iron 0.14 mg 1%
- Potassium 80 mg 2%
- Sodium 2 mg 0%
- Magnesium 48 mg 11%
- Phosphorus 84 mg 7%
- Zinc 1.6 mg 15%
- Sesame seeds are rich in nutrition with healthy unsaturated fats which lowers the cholesterol and reduces the risk of heart disease. The magnesium and calcium content in sesame seeds improves bone health and immune system.
- Jaggery is rich with iron which gives energy and is helpful for problems like fatigue and anemia. It also contains potassium which lowers blood pressure and antioxidants and minerals that helps to increase haemoglobin and helps detoxify our body.
- India is one of the largest producers of sesame seeds. Sesame balls can be made of both white and black sesame seeds.
- Similarly, sesame seed balls known as Jian dui which comes with a bean paste filling is a famous traditional Chinese pastry enjoyed on occasions like Chinese new year.
- Considering the medicinal values of sesame seeds it is known as "the seed of immortality" and has an important part in ayurvedic home remedies.
- Both sesame seeds and jaggery, the main ingredients of this snack helps with health problems like anxiety and migraine.
Suggested consumable by age groups
- It is nutritious, so a significant amount such as 1-2 sesame seed balls on a regular basis can be consumed by all age groups.
Good times to eat:
- This can be perfect as a nutty evening snack or like an energy bar to munch in your work/study breaks.
- As jaggery is good for digestion, eating this after a meal can help activate the digestive enzymes in our body.
Eat along with:
- As this is one of the healthy evening snacks you can enjoy it with a hot cup of tea or coffee.
When not to eat or eat more often:
- People who are allergic to sesame seeds are advised to be cautious.
- Both sesame seeds and jaggery are healthy and beneficial to women for menstruation and menopause issues. However, during pregnancy it is better to consume after consulting a doctor.
Story/History of recipe
Sesame seeds are popular in various cuisines especially Asian, African and Mexican cuisines.
Apart from sesame seed oil which is commonly used in Indian cooking there are various dishes that are prepared with sesame seeds.
The sesame balls are also known as til laddu or ellu urundai and are popular in India and Sri Lanka. It is one of the organic Indian snacks that is famous for special occasions and traditional hindu festivals like Ganesh chaturthi, Krishna Jayanti, Navaratri and many more.
Recipe Ingredients, Preparation Steps and Occasions Served
Watch Recipe Video
Events/Festivals Served/Most Popular During
The following are the ingredients to prepare for a quantity of 10-15 sesame seed balls:
- Sesame seeds - 1 cup You can take black or white sesame seeds as per your preference.
- Jaggery - 1 cup (crushed) Take 1:1 ratio of sesame seeds and jaggery.
- Water - 1/4 cup for 1 cup of jaggery.
- Ghee - 2-3 tablespoons or as required.
- Take a pan and roast the one cup of sesame seeds at a medium flame. Turn off the flame as you start to hear the crackling sound while it is roasting.
- At this stage, in case of white sesame seeds you can see that the sesame seed has turned into light golden brown colour.
- Be cautious and do not over roast as it can change the taste.
- Transfer the roasted sesame seeds into a bowl or plate and keep it aside.
- Heat a pan and add one cup of crushed jaggery and a quarter cup of water and boil until the jaggery melts completely.
- Clean this melted jaggery using a filter.
- Now in a pan add the filtered jaggery syrup and boil at a medium flame until it starts to thicken.
- Now when the consistency is sticky and slightly thick add the roasted sesame seeds and mix well.
- Throughout the cooking process make sure the flame is low to medium.
- Turn off the flame and let it warm until it is warm enough to touch. Do not let it cool as it will be hard to roll it into balls.
- Now grease your palm with ghee and roll it into small balls. In an optional way, instead of ghee you can also dust your palm with rice flour.
- Once the sesame seed balls are ready you can store it in an air-tight container. It can be stored upto one month.
Kandra foods ships all over India ( to all the pin codes), and usually it takes 1-4 days to reach the destination based on zones you belong to.
No we don’t charge any extra for shipping the products prices are all inclusive.
The best thing you can do is to ask your security or neighbor to collect it and keep it with them and you can later collect it from them. If you don’t respond the product will be sent back to us and you may have to still bear all the shipping costs to get it delivered.
There is no minimum or maximum order value, when your order is worth Rs 2000 and more you would get a discount and you can avail it any time including the current order.you can proceed ordering as much quantity and varieties you can. For corporate orders you are requested to do an online transfer to the bank account instead of paying online on the website.
Yes, we may have seasonal deals and discounts and its not assured always, but then you can always avail a discount when your order is worth Rs. 2000 and more, you can ask for it over the chat or write to us or call directly to the available number on the website.
Yes, we serve custom orders for occasions like Srimantham (Baby shower), Oni function, festivals, small events, marriages, naming ceremonies, etc.
Yes, you can. You have to specifically mention it during your purchase, sometimes it would be chargeable based on the purchase value, product, event/occasions etc.
Yes, you can order at least 7 days in advance. So we make sure it's delivered on time to your door. We serve at least 200+ function/bulk orders every month, the most common functions we serve are the baby shower (Srimantham), Oni function, Naming ceremony etc.
Its an amazing opportunity for the women who has passion for cooking and writing! our platforms allows everyone to share their knowledge and earn in parallel. Now you can utilize your free time for sharing your knowledge on KandraFoods,
- You should be passionate about cooking & related & love sharing the same with the community
- You should be proficient writing in your mother tongue or in English
- You should know the basic email communication and english