- Interesting Facts
- Recipe/Cooking Process
- Why KandraFoods?
- Become a Contributor (Earn by writing)
- Energy - 176 cal
- Protein - 3 g - 6%
- Carbohydrates - 18 g - 6%
- Fiber - 2 g - 7%
- Fat - 10 g - 13%
- Cholesterol - 7.5 mg - 3%
- Vitamin A - 155 mcg - 5%
- Vitamin B3 - 0.6 mg - 4%
- Vitamin B9 - 9 mcg - 2%
- Calcium - 17 mg - 1%
- Iron - 0.4 mg - 2%
- Potassium - 62 mg - 1%
- Sodium - 27 mg - 1%
- Zinc - 0.4 mg - 4%
- Rice flour can be a healthy alternative for wheat in case of a gluten free diet.
- Urad dal is rich with minerals such as phosphorus and calcium that helps with bone and teeth health.
- Magnesium and potassium content are good for heart health, boosts immunity and improves the digestive system.
- Urad dal is also very rich in protein and fibre that can increase the energy levels and it is ideal to be included in a weight loss diet.
- Coconut also contains fibre and helps produce energy.
- Antioxidants in coconut can improve the immune system and reduce the risk of inflammation.
Suggested consumable by age groups
- A significant amount such as ¼ cup can be enjoyed by all age groups.
Good times to eat:
- It is perfect as an evening snack.
Eat along with:
- This can be eaten with a hot cup of tea or coffee and Indian sweets.
When not to eat or eat more often:
- Since it is a deep fried snack it is better to avoid consuming often.
- Diabetic patients are also advised to avoid.
Story/History of recipe
Seedai also known as 'uppu seedai' is a South Indian snack that is prepared as small, crunchy deep fried balls. Festivals are incomplete without this, especially Krishna Jayanti. These are prepared as one of the important offerings to Lord Krishna. Seedai has become a very popular and common Indian snack that is enjoyed by all.
Recipe Ingredients, Preparation Steps and Occasions Served
Watch Recipe Video
Event/Festivals Served/Most Popular During
The following are the ingredients needed to prepare two cups of seedai,
- Rice flour - 1 cup
- Urad dal flour - 4 tablespoons
- Grated coconut - 2 tablespoons (dry roasted for a minute or less)
- Sesame seeds - 1 teaspoon (roasted)
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Butter - 1 tablespoon
- Salt as required
- Water as required for dough
- Oil as required for deep fry.
- Soak around three cups of raw rice in water for 1-2 hours. Strain and dry it for a few minutes. Grind this into fine flour and sieve.
- Take one cup of this flour and dry roast for less than a minute and keep it aside.
Urad dal flour:
- Take around 1 cup of urad dal and dry roast until it turns golden brown. Grind it into fine flour and sieve.
For preparing dough:
- Take a large bowl, add the dry roasted rice flour, four tablespoons of urad dal flour, grated coconut, sesame seeds, salt and butter.
- You can add chilli powder to these if you prefer and this is totally optional.
- Mix the contents well. Add water little by little and knead it.
- Add half a teaspoon of oil and keep it aside.
For preparing seedai:
- Take a heavy bottomed pan, add oil as required for deep frying, let it heat at high flame.
- Meanwhile, grease your palm with oil, take a small portion of dough and start rolling them into small balls.
- Make sure you don't roll it tightly.
- It is better to have few cracks or poke it with a toothpick so that it won't burst while frying.
- Once these balls are ready and the oil is hot enough, lower the flame to medium and drop these balls gently into the pan. Be very cautious.
- Let it fry. Once it starts to turn light brown gently give it a mix to flip them and make sure it is evenly cooked.
- When the sizzling sound and bubbles have stopped you can take these out. Use a strainer or tissue paper to remove excess oil.
- These can be stored in an airtight container and can be enjoyed for over a week.
Kandra foods ships all over India ( to all the pin codes), and usually it takes 1-4 days to reach the destination based on zones you belong to.
No we don’t charge any extra for shipping the products prices are all inclusive.
The best thing you can do is to ask your security or neighbor to collect it and keep it with them and you can later collect it from them. If you don’t respond the product will be sent back to us and you may have to still bear all the shipping costs to get it delivered.
There is no minimum or maximum order value, when your order is worth Rs 2000 and more you would get a discount and you can avail it any time including the current order.you can proceed ordering as much quantity and varieties you can. For corporate orders you are requested to do an online transfer to the bank account instead of paying online on the website.
Yes, we may have seasonal deals and discounts and its not assured always, but then you can always avail a discount when your order is worth Rs. 2000 and more, you can ask for it over the chat or write to us or call directly to the available number on the website.
Yes, we serve custom orders for occasions like Srimantham (Baby shower), Oni function, festivals, small events, marriages, naming ceremonies, etc.
Yes, you can. You have to specifically mention it during your purchase, sometimes it would be chargeable based on the purchase value, product, event/occasions etc.
Yes, you can order at least 7 days in advance. So we make sure it's delivered on time to your door. We serve at least 200+ function/bulk orders every month, the most common functions we serve are the baby shower (Srimantham), Oni function, Naming ceremony etc.
Its an amazing opportunity for the women who has passion for cooking and writing! our platforms allows everyone to share their knowledge and earn in parallel. Now you can utilize your free time for sharing your knowledge on KandraFoods,
- You should be passionate about cooking & related & love sharing the same with the community
- You should be proficient writing in your mother tongue or in English
- You should know the basic email communication and english