- Carom seeds have anti bacterial and anti inflammatory properties. It can help treat peptic ulcers and other stomach and digestive problems.
- It can prevent kidney stones and help relieve asthma.
- It helps lower cholesterol and as it contains thymol it helps with regulating blood pressure levels thereby preventing hypertension and chronic heart disease.
- Gram flour contains high protein and fibre which makes it ideal for weight loss.
- It contains magnesium that helps to maintain blood pressure and prevents heart diseases.
- Iron and other minerals help prevent anemia and enhance metabolism.
- Curry leaves are rich with antioxidants that prevent oxidative damage and help support the cardiovascular system and nervous system.
- It also has nutrients that are healthy for eyes, skin and hair.
- Sanna Pusa can simply be a part of any type of dish. It is used as a main ingredient and/or as toppings in various chaat items like bhel puri, dahi puri and many more.
- Bombay Mix, prepared by mixing all kinds of Sev including Sanna Pusa , lentils and other nuts is famous in the UK too.
- Ajwain/Carom seeds are popularly produced in India, Afghanistan and Iran.
- It is said to have therapeutic properties and traditionally used to treat tooth pain, indigestion and bad breath.
- With around 2000 suppliers and sellers Ratlam is said to have the largest Sev making unit in India.
- In 2014, geographical indication (GI) tag was granted to Ratlami Sev.
Suggested consumable by age groups
- A significant amount of half to one cup can be consumed by all age groups.
Good times to eat:
- It is perfect as a light evening snack.
Eat along with:
- This can be enjoyed as it is or alongside tea or coffee with Indian sweet variety.
- It can also be served as a side dish for Indian meals.
- It can be tried with any savoury dish of your choice especially, chaat items as this practically goes well with any dish.
When not to eat or eat more often:
- Too much intake of carom seeds is not advisable hence not to consume often.
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women must avoid consuming.
Story/History of recipe
Sanna Pusa is the Telugu name for Sev which is a nationwide popular snack of India that has a vast range of variations available all over the country. The starting point for all this is said to have been initiated around 200 years ago in Ratlam, Madhya Pradesh. In Tamil Nadu, it is one of the frequently bought snacks and is also a favourite one for all age groups. It is prepared for special occasions like marriages and other festivals.
Recipe Ingredients, Preparation Steps and Occasions Served
Watch Recipe Video
Event/Festivals Served/Most Popular During
The following are the ingredients needed for Sanna Pusa,
- Carom seeds/Omam/Ajwain - 2 tablespoons
- Gram flour/besan flour -
- Rice flour -
- Butter/hot oil - 1 teaspoon
- Chilli powder - as per preference (optional)
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon gives natural yellow colour (optional)
- Curry leaves - handful or as preferred
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep fry.
STEPS FOR PREPARATION
For preparing dough:
- Soak and grind carom seeds by sprinkle water.
- Take this paste on a filter, add water to it and squeeze down the juice. Keep it aside.
- Take a wide bowl, add gram flour, rice flour, chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt and butter. Give it a good mix.
- Add around two or less tablespoons of the carom seed juice as it has a strong aroma and tasting less quantity will be enough.
- Knead the contents well, add more water if required and knead it into a soft dough.
For preparing Karappusa:
- In a wide heavy bottomed pan, add oil for deep frying and let it heat at high flame.
- Meanwhile, grease the murukku maker/mould with oil. Use the mould with small holes.
- Divide the dough into small batches and fill in the murukku maker.
- When the oil is heated squeeze the first batch of dough directly into the pan.
- Squeeze around continuously like a noodle cake.
- Gently flip it to cook evenly.
- Once the sizzling sound and bubbles have completely stopped, take it out.
- Repeat the process for remaining batches.
- Fry fresh curry leaves and add to the prepared Sanna Pusa.
- Break it into pieces and give it a mix.
- Once done it can be stored in an airtight container and it can stay crisp for a month.
Kandra foods ships all over India ( to all the pin codes), and usually it takes 1-4 days to reach the destination based on zones you belong to.
No we don’t charge any extra for shipping the products prices are all inclusive.
The best thing you can do is to ask your security or neighbor to collect it and keep it with them and you can later collect it from them. If you don’t respond the product will be sent back to us and you may have to still bear all the shipping costs to get it delivered.
There is no minimum or maximum order value, when your order is worth Rs 2000 and more you would get a discount and you can avail it any time including the current order.you can proceed ordering as much quantity and varieties you can. For corporate orders you are requested to do an online transfer to the bank account instead of paying online on the website.
Yes, we may have seasonal deals and discounts and its not assured always, but then you can always avail a discount when your order is worth Rs. 2000 and more, you can ask for it over the chat or write to us or call directly to the available number on the website.
Yes, we serve custom orders for occasions like Srimantham (Baby shower), Oni function, festivals, small events, marriages, naming ceremonies, etc.
Yes, you can. You have to specifically mention it during your purchase, sometimes it would be chargeable based on the purchase value, product, event/occasions etc.
Yes, you can order at least 7 days in advance. So we make sure it's delivered on time to your door. We serve at least 200+ function/bulk orders every month, the most common functions we serve are the baby shower (Srimantham), Oni function, Naming ceremony etc.
Its an amazing opportunity for the women who has passion for cooking and writing! our platforms allows everyone to share their knowledge and earn in parallel. Now you can utilize your free time for sharing your knowledge on KandraFoods,
- You should be passionate about cooking & related & love sharing the same with the community
- You should be proficient writing in your mother tongue or in English
- You should know the basic email communication and english