- Little millets contain antioxidants that are helpful for preventing diseases like cataract, cancer, inflammation and gastrointestinal and cardiovascular issues.
- It contains minerals like magnesium, iron and potassium which can help in lowering bad cholesterol and improve heart health. Phosphorus content improves metabolism, body tissue repair and produces energy.
- It helps in detoxifying the body and in curing respiratory issues like asthma.
- Roasted gram flour is rich in minerals that boosts immunity and improves bone, muscle and heart health and maintains blood pressure.
- The vitamins in roasted gram are healthy for skin and hair care. It also helps to improve memory and is good for brain health.
- Urad dal is rich with minerals such as phosphorus and calcium that helps with bone and teeth health.
- It also contains magnesium, potassium and iron which are good for the heart, boosts immunity and improves the digestive system.
- Gram dal has anti inflammatory properties and healthy fats that are helpful for treating inflammation.
- It is mineral rich with calcium, phosphorus and magnesium that strengthens bones and teeth. Potassium content helps in lowering the blood pressure.
- Black sesame seeds contain antioxidants that can reduce oxidative stress and thereby it prevents diabetes, cancer and heart diseases.
- According to a research, little millet is a fibrous millet which is one of the cereals that has the highest level of dietary fiber.
- Little millet has flavonoids that improve the body's immune defence system.
- Boiled little millets can be substituted for rice or wheat and can be included in regular diets such as salads, chapatis and breads. It is also ideal to make it as porridge for babies.
- Saamai Thattai is prepared with ingredients that are high in protein and fiber that can be included in weight loss diets, helps in boosting the energy levels and prevents anemia.
- Lower glycemic index of little millet helps in lowering the blood sugar levels. It releases a lesser percentage of glucose compared to rice.
Suggested consumable by age groups
- A significant quantity of one or two Saamai Thattai can be enjoyed by all age groups.
Good times to eat:
- It is perfect as an evening snack.
Eat along with:
- It can be eaten alongside a hot cup of coffee or tea.
When not to eat or eat more often:
- Not advisable to consume often as it is a deep fried snack.
- Millets are advised to be consumed in moderation only.
Story/History of recipe
Thattai is a renowned snack of South India that has an authentic recipe and is prepared for many years. Little millet also called as Saamai in Tamil is one of the healthiest millets, Thattai prepared with this type of millet is known as Saamai Thattai. Little millets make this traditional snack more tasty and beneficial for health. It is prepared for special occasions and festivals of South India.
Recipe Ingredients, Preparation Steps and Occasions Served
Watch Recipe Video
Event/Festivals Served/Most Popular During
The following are the ingredients needed for preparing Saamai Thattai,
- Saamai / little millets flour - 1 cup
- Roasted Gram dal flour- 1/4 cup
- Urad dal flour - 1/4 cup
- Gram dal - 2 tablespoons
- Chilli powder / chilli flakes - 1 teaspoon or as preferred.
- Asafoetida/ Hing - 1/2 teaspoon.
- Black sesame seeds - 1 teaspoon
- Butter - 1 tablespoon
- Salt as required
- Oil for deep fry.
To prepare the dough:
- Soak required gram dal in water for an hour and keep it aside.
- Dry roast around one cup of urad dal, grind into flour and sieve well. Only a quarter cup of this is needed for the recipe.
- In a wide bowl, add all the three flours and mix well.
- Add chilli powder, asafoetida, and salt.
- Drain the water and add soaked gram dal to the flour along with slightly crushed black sesame seeds.
- Add butter and mix the contents well.
- Pour water little by little and knead them into a soft dough.
To prepare Samai Thattai,
- Once the dough is ready, heat a pan with oil for deep frying.
- Meanwhile, grease your palm and a small piece of banana leaf with oil.
- Divide the dough into small balls and keep it ready.
- Take each ball of dough, place it on the banana leaf and press and flatten the dough into a small circle or disc shape.
- Check whether the oil is heated and drop in these discs / thattais gently in the oil.
- Let it fry and flip after a few minutes to cook well.
- When it has turned golden brown and crispy take it out and place on a strainer or tissue paper to remove excess oil.
- Saamai Thattai can be stored in an airtight container and can be enjoyed by over 10 days.
Kandra foods ships all over India ( to all the pin codes), and usually it takes 1-4 days to reach the destination based on zones you belong to.
No we don’t charge any extra for shipping the products prices are all inclusive.
The best thing you can do is to ask your security or neighbor to collect it and keep it with them and you can later collect it from them. If you don’t respond the product will be sent back to us and you may have to still bear all the shipping costs to get it delivered.
There is no minimum or maximum order value, when your order is worth Rs 2000 and more you would get a discount and you can avail it any time including the current order.you can proceed ordering as much quantity and varieties you can. For corporate orders you are requested to do an online transfer to the bank account instead of paying online on the website.
Yes, we may have seasonal deals and discounts and its not assured always, but then you can always avail a discount when your order is worth Rs. 2000 and more, you can ask for it over the chat or write to us or call directly to the available number on the website.
Yes, we serve custom orders for occasions like Srimantham (Baby shower), Oni function, festivals, small events, marriages, naming ceremonies, etc.
Yes, you can. You have to specifically mention it during your purchase, sometimes it would be chargeable based on the purchase value, product, event/occasions etc.
Yes, you can order at least 7 days in advance. So we make sure it's delivered on time to your door. We serve at least 200+ function/bulk orders every month, the most common functions we serve are the baby shower (Srimantham), Oni function, Naming ceremony etc.
Its an amazing opportunity for the women who has passion for cooking and writing! our platforms allows everyone to share their knowledge and earn in parallel. Now you can utilize your free time for sharing your knowledge on KandraFoods,
- You should be passionate about cooking & related & love sharing the same with the community
- You should be proficient writing in your mother tongue or in English
- You should know the basic email communication and english