Story/History of recipe
Puffed rice is made by heating the rice kernels under high pressure. Unlike popcorn as rice has no moisture, puffed rice is made in the presence of steam. It is famous among the street foods in Asian countries and as a breakfast cereal in the western countries.
It can be part of a basic diet, a savory or a sweet as this goes well with many things. Puffed rice with jaggery is one of the best combinations as it simply tastes very well and puffed rice balls is one of its best versions. More than a regular snack it is special for festivals like Makar Sankranti, Diwali and poojas like Ganesh Chaturthi, Karthigai Deepam, sarswati pooja and many more.
Recipe Ingredients, Preparation Steps and Occasions Served
- Take a heavy pan and heat it.
- Add small pieces of jaggery into the pan, pour water that is little enough to make the jaggery immerse in and melt it
- You can clean the jaggery once it has melted using a filter.
- Now in a clean pan add the filtered jaggery and at a low to medium flame heat it until it thickens.
- The jaggery should turn into a stringy consistency.
- The consistency of jaggery is so important as it also ensures the crispness of the snack.
- You can check it by taking a drop of jaggery in a small bowl of water and try to roll it into a ball.
- If jaggery can be rolled into a small ball then the consistency is perfect.
- At this stage, add the puffed rice and give it a mix.
- When puffed rice is mixed well, add ghee and cardamom powder and mix them too.
- For extra crunch, you can also add a few chopped and roasted cashews or roasted gram or sliced coconut but this is completely optional.
- Once all the contents are mixed well turn off the flame and let it warm.
- Grease your palms with ghee and roll the puffed rice and jaggery mixture into a ball.
- Make sure you roll them while it is hot enough to touch as it won't be possible if it had cooled down to room temperature.
- Puffed rice balls can be stored in an air-tight container and enjoyed for around 30 days.
- Interesting Facts
- Recipe/Cooking Process
- Why KandraFoods?
- Become a Contributor (Earn by writing)
- Energy - 581 - cal
- Protein - 7 g - 14%
- Carbohydrates - 128 g - 43%
- Fiber - 1 g - 4%
- Fat - 5 g - 6%
- Cholesterol - 6 mg - 2%
- Vitamin A - 665 mcg - 22%
- Vitamin C - 63 mg - 70%
- Calcium - 14 mg - 1%
- Iron - 13 mg - 72%
- Potassium - 25 mg - 3%
- Sodium - 480 mg - 20%
- Puffed rice can maintain blood pressure as it has low sodium and thereby reduces the risk of heart disease.
- It is ideal to include puffed rice to your diet for weight loss as it does not have much calories and has low fat.
- The vitamins, fibre and mineral content such as iron and calcium improves bone health and helps you stay energetic.
- Jaggery is mineral rich and boosts the immune system.
- The antioxidants and other vitamins in jaggery makes it a natural cleanser for our body and has anti aging properties for skin.
- Both the main ingredients, puffed rice and jaggery improves digestion and relieves constipation.
- Cardamom can kill mouth bacteria and prevent bad breath.
- Out of all the oilseed crops, sesame seeds are considered to be the oldest and the one with the highest level of oil content. It is said that it has been in use for almost 5000 years ago.
- Ellu Mittai can also be prepared with white sesame seeds or both black and white.
- Black sesame seeds are said to be more nutritious and crunchy compared to the white sesame seeds.
Suggested consumable by age groups
- A quantity of one or two per day can be consumed by all age groups.
Good times to eat:
- As it is a snack it can be perfect for evenings.
- A significant amount can be consumed at any time of the day.
Eat along with:
- It can simply be consumed as a snack or along with a hot beverage like tea or coffee.
When not to eat or eat more often:
- For people with diabetes it is better to avoid as Puffed Rice is not advisable for them.
Kandra foods ships all over India ( to all the pin codes), and usually it takes 1-4 days to reach the destination based on zones you belong to.
No we don’t charge any extra for shipping the products prices are all inclusive.
The best thing you can do is to ask your security or neighbor to collect it and keep it with them and you can later collect it from them. If you don’t respond the product will be sent back to us and you may have to still bear all the shipping costs to get it delivered.
There is no minimum or maximum order value, when your order is worth Rs 2000 and more you would get a discount and you can avail it any time including the current order.you can proceed ordering as much quantity and varieties you can. For corporate orders you are requested to do an online transfer to the bank account instead of paying online on the website.
Yes, we may have seasonal deals and discounts and its not assured always, but then you can always avail a discount when your order is worth Rs. 2000 and more, you can ask for it over the chat or write to us or call directly to the available number on the website.
Yes, we serve custom orders for occasions like Srimantham (Baby shower), Oni function, festivals, small events, marriages, naming ceremonies, etc.
Yes, you can. You have to specifically mention it during your purchase, sometimes it would be chargeable based on the purchase value, product, event/occasions etc.
Yes, you can order at least 7 days in advance. So we make sure it's delivered on time to your door. We serve at least 200+ function/bulk orders every month, the most common functions we serve are the baby shower (Srimantham), Oni function, Naming ceremony etc.
Its an amazing opportunity for the women who has passion for cooking and writing! our platforms allows everyone to share their knowledge and earn in parallel. Now you can utilize your free time for sharing your knowledge on KandraFoods,
- You should be passionate about cooking & related & love sharing the same with the community
- You should be proficient writing in your mother tongue or in English
- You should know the basic email communication and english