- Bitter gourd is rich in fiber that helps in increasing energy levels, improves bowel movements and boosts the immune system. It also makes it ideal to be included in a weight loss diet.
- It contains vitamins and folates that promote hair and skin health.
- It has antioxidants that can remove free radicals and it also helps in purifying blood and detoxifying the liver.
- Cancer fighting agents and healing properties are also present in bitter gourd.
- It can regulate blood sugar levels by promoting the secretion of insulin.
- The potassium, phosphorus and calcium content in bitter gourd help in lowering blood pressure levels and cholesterol, supports arteries and prevents the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Rice flour contains nutrients like calcium and zinc. It is gluten free.
- Gram flour contains high protein and fiber which makes it ideal for weight loss. It helps to control cholesterol levels and reduce hypertension.
- It contains magnesium that helps to maintain blood pressure and prevents heart diseases.
- Iron and other minerals help prevent anemia and enhance metabolism.
- It is also ideal to be included in a gluten free diet.
- Bitter gourd is one of the important items used in ayurvedic medicine for managing type 2 diabetes.
- It is used in African and American herbal medicine for curing any digestive and respiratory problems.
- Gohyah tea is a medicinal tea originally from Brazil which is made from dried slices of bitter gourd.
- Bitter gourd is usually prepared as a side dish like curries for main course in Indian cuisine.
- The seeds of the bitter gourd are unsafe to consume hence must be removed to prevent serious side effects.
- Bitter gourd can help in curing alcoholic intoxication caused by consumption of alcohol.
Suggested consumable by age groups
- A small bowl of Pavakkai chips can be consumed by all age groups.
Good times to eat:
- It is perfect as an evening snack.
Eat along with:
- It can be eaten as it is or as a side dish for South Indian meals.
- It can be served with yogurt.
When not to eat or eat more often:
- Not advisable to consume often as it is a fried snack.
- Pregnant women should avoid consuming.
- It is better to consume in moderation to prevent low sugar.
Story/History of recipe
Pavakkai chips which is also known as Karela chips in North India is a quick evening snack that is prepared by frying the slices of bitter gourd that is covered with a spicy paste of flour and Indian spices. It is prepared easily anytime and with ingredients like garam masala or chaat masala the taste enhances and reduces the bitterness.
Recipe Ingredients, Preparation Steps and Occasions Served
- Cut bitter gourd into thin circle slices and remove the center seed part.
- Add rice flour and gram flour and gently mix it by sprinkling water. Do not pour in too much water and sprinkle only enough water to slightly coat the bitter gourd slices with flour.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilly powder, salt and mix well.
- Heat a pan with oil at high flame.
- If the oil is heated add bitter gourd slices one by one and let it fry.
- Once it turns brown, gently flip to fry the other side.
- When it is fried well transfer it to a strainer or tissue paper to remove excess oil.
Kandra foods ships all over India ( to all the pin codes), and usually it takes 1-4 days to reach the destination based on zones you belong to.
No we don’t charge any extra for shipping the products prices are all inclusive.
The best thing you can do is to ask your security or neighbor to collect it and keep it with them and you can later collect it from them. If you don’t respond the product will be sent back to us and you may have to still bear all the shipping costs to get it delivered.
There is no minimum or maximum order value, when your order is worth Rs 2000 and more you would get a discount and you can avail it any time including the current order.you can proceed ordering as much quantity and varieties you can. For corporate orders you are requested to do an online transfer to the bank account instead of paying online on the website.
Yes, we may have seasonal deals and discounts and its not assured always, but then you can always avail a discount when your order is worth Rs. 2000 and more, you can ask for it over the chat or write to us or call directly to the available number on the website.
Yes, we serve custom orders for occasions like Srimantham (Baby shower), Oni function, festivals, small events, marriages, naming ceremonies, etc.
Yes, you can. You have to specifically mention it during your purchase, sometimes it would be chargeable based on the purchase value, product, event/occasions etc.
Yes, you can order at least 7 days in advance. So we make sure it's delivered on time to your door. We serve at least 200+ function/bulk orders every month, the most common functions we serve are the baby shower (Srimantham), Oni function, Naming ceremony etc.
Its an amazing opportunity for the women who has passion for cooking and writing! our platforms allows everyone to share their knowledge and earn in parallel. Now you can utilize your free time for sharing your knowledge on KandraFoods,
- You should be passionate about cooking & related & love sharing the same with the community
- You should be proficient writing in your mother tongue or in English
- You should know the basic email communication and english