- Onions are a rich source of antioxidants that can prevent the risk of heart disease, diabetes and cancer.
- It is loaded with prebiotics that can improve the digestive system and help the immune system. It also provides bacterial balance in the gut.
- It can help with maintaining blood sugar and improves bone mineral density.
- It has cancer fighting properties that can reduce the risk of cancer. It can also prevent and slows down the development and spread of certain tumors.
- Rice flour contains nutrients like calcium and zinc. It is 100% gluten free.
- Gram flour contains high protein and fibre which makes it ideal for weight loss. It helps to control cholesterol levels and reduce hypertension.
- It is loaded with nutrients and contains vitamins that are healthy for women during their pregnancy.
- It contains magnesium that helps to maintain blood pressure and prevents heart diseases.
- Iron and other minerals help prevent anemia and enhance metabolism.
- It is also ideal to be included in a gluten free diet.
- Other names for Pakoda includes Bhaji, Bhajiya, Fakkura and Pakora
- There is an Italian dish called Fritto misto prepared in the similar way to a Pakoda fried in olive oil.
- The first ever fritter is said to be prepared in 1665.
- Onions are called nutrient - dense food as they are low in calories but high in vitamins and minerals.
- With over 25 different varieties of flavonoid antioxidants, onions are a great source of antioxidants.
Suggested consumable by age groups
- One small cup of Onion Pakoda can be enjoyed by all age groups.
Good times to eat:
- Evenings are the best for Onion Pakoda
Eat along with:
- It can be eaten with Indian condiments like tamarind sauce, chutney or raita.
- The perfect combination of it is with a hot cup of tea or coffee.
- This can also be eaten as a side dish for Indian meals.
When not to eat or eat more often:
- Avoid if you are allergic to peanuts.
- Diabetic patients are also advised not to eat.
Story/History of recipe
Pakodas/ Pakoras are Indian fritters originally said to be from Gujarat. It is a popular street side snack of Southern Asia. It can be prepared with any vegetable by frying the chopped vegetables that were dipped or mixed in the spiced up gram flour batter. Onion is one of the most used vegetables for Pakoda. Onion Pakoda is a common appetizer in South India.
Recipe Ingredients, Preparation Steps and Occasions Served
The following are the ingredients needed for preparing Onion Pakoda,
- Onion - 2-3 (medium sized and sliced)
- Gram flour - ½ cup
- Rice flour - ¼ cup
- Fennel seeds - 1 teaspoon (slightly crushed)
- Garlic - 1/2 teaspoon (grated)
- Ginger - 8 numbers (crushed)
- Green chilli - 1 or 2 as preferred (chopped)
- Red chilli powder - 1/2 teaspoon or as preferred
- Asafoetida/ hing - 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander leaves
- Mint leaves (optional)
- Curry leaves
- Salt as required
- Water - 1-2 tablespoons
- Oil as required for frying.
- In a large bowl, add long and sliced onions, fennel seeds, ginger, garlic, green chilli, red chilli powder, mint and coriander leaves, asafoetida and salt.
- Mix the contents with your hands. Once it is mixed you can see that the onion slices are separated.
- Add gram flour and rice flour to this mixture and mix well again.
- Meanwhile take a wide pan with oil required for deep fry and heat it at medium to high flame.
- Take around two tablespoons of hot oil and add it to the mixture. Gently mix while it is hot.
- When the oil is ready to fry, sprinkle around two tablespoons of water on the prepared mixture.
- Now mix all the contents well and take a few portions of it in hand and gently keep dropping them in the pan. Fry these at medium flame.
- Wait for a couple of minutes and gently stir.
- Once the colour of the pakoda turns golden brown colour take it out and place it on a strainer or tissue cloth to remove excess oil.
- Repeat the process for remaining mixture. Make sure to sprinkle water only on the moment before frying them. Otherwise it will result in too much water in the mixture as onions already have water content in it.
- Finally, fry some curry leaves separately and garnish on top of the prepared Onion Pakoda.
- This can be stored in an airtight container for a week.
Kandra foods ships all over India ( to all the pin codes), and usually it takes 1-4 days to reach the destination based on zones you belong to.
No we don’t charge any extra for shipping the products prices are all inclusive.
The best thing you can do is to ask your security or neighbor to collect it and keep it with them and you can later collect it from them. If you don’t respond the product will be sent back to us and you may have to still bear all the shipping costs to get it delivered.
There is no minimum or maximum order value, when your order is worth Rs 2000 and more you would get a discount and you can avail it any time including the current order.you can proceed ordering as much quantity and varieties you can. For corporate orders you are requested to do an online transfer to the bank account instead of paying online on the website.
Yes, we may have seasonal deals and discounts and its not assured always, but then you can always avail a discount when your order is worth Rs. 2000 and more, you can ask for it over the chat or write to us or call directly to the available number on the website.
Yes, we serve custom orders for occasions like Srimantham (Baby shower), Oni function, festivals, small events, marriages, naming ceremonies, etc.
Yes, you can. You have to specifically mention it during your purchase, sometimes it would be chargeable based on the purchase value, product, event/occasions etc.
Yes, you can order at least 7 days in advance. So we make sure it's delivered on time to your door. We serve at least 200+ function/bulk orders every month, the most common functions we serve are the baby shower (Srimantham), Oni function, Naming ceremony etc.
Its an amazing opportunity for the women who has passion for cooking and writing! our platforms allows everyone to share their knowledge and earn in parallel. Now you can utilize your free time for sharing your knowledge on KandraFoods,
- You should be passionate about cooking & related & love sharing the same with the community
- You should be proficient writing in your mother tongue or in English
- You should know the basic email communication and english