Percentage daily values are based on a 2000 calorie diet a day. It is used for general nutrition advice and may differ based on a person’s calorie needs.
Amount per serving
- Interesting Facts
- Recipe/Cooking Process
- Why KandraFoods?
- Become a Contributor (Earn by writing)
- Carbohydrates - 4 g
- Fiber - 1 g
- Protein - 2 g
- Iron - 1 mg
- Bitter gourd is rich in fiber that helps in increasing energy levels, improves bowel movements and boosts the immune system. It also makes it ideal to be included in a weight loss diet.
- It contains vitamins and folates that promote hair and skin health.
- It has antioxidants that can remove free radicals and it also helps in purifying blood and detoxifying the liver.
- Cancer-fighting agents and healing properties are also present in bitter gourd.
- It can regulate blood sugar levels by promoting the secretion of insulin.
- The potassium and calcium content in bitter gourd help in lowering blood pressure levels and cholesterol supports arteries and prevents the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- It is loaded with magnesium which can help lower blood cholesterol and pressure levels thereby it promotes heart health.
- Antioxidants in garlic support brain health and help in reducing the risk of Alzheimer's disease and dementia.
- Karela contains compounds of cucurbitacins which gives it a bitter taste and also can act as a defense against herbivores.
- Other names of Karela include bitter melon, balsam pear, African cucumber, bitter apple, etc.
- Karela has medicinal properties and is used in home remedies to cure respiratory problems like asthma and diabetes. It also has anti-aging properties.
- Bitter gourd’s native is India and was used in Chinese cuisine from the 14th century.
- Another variation of Karela pickle is where the masalas are stuffed inside the half-cut bitter gourd or in the center of the circle slices after removing the seed part. This method is also similar to the Korean stuffed cucumber kimchi
Suggested consumable by age groups
- One or two tablespoons of Karela pickle can be consumed in moderation by all age groups.
Good times to eat:
- It is perfect for lunch.
Eat along with:
- It can be eaten alongside lunch meals like curd rice.
When not to eat or eat more often:
- It is advisable not to eat often.
- Pregnant women shall avoid consuming.
Story/History of recipe
Karela pickle or Karela achaar is an Indian pickle variety. Karela in English means bitter gourd. The general Indian spices used for pickle along with the bitterness of karela gives this masala a perfectly balanced taste. It is popular all over the country. It can be prepared and consumed quickly hence it is one of the common easy-to-make pickles of Indian cuisine. This masala can also be eaten alongside rotis and dosas.
Recipe Ingredients, Preparation Steps and Occasions Served
Watch Recipe Video
Event/Festivals Served/Most Popular During
- Ellu Bella In Chennai From:
- Ellu Bella In Hyderabad From:
- Ellu Bella In Bangalore From:
- Health Benefits of Ellu Bella From:
- Ellu Bella Recipe Preparation Steps From:
- Organic Turmeric Powder From:
The following are the ingredients needed for preparing Karela Pickle,
- Bitter gourd / Karela - 3 medium sized
- Garlic - 5 numbers (Chopped)
- Tamarind paste/juice - ¼ cup or less
- Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
- Fenugreek seeds / Methi powder - 1 teaspoon
- Dry red chillies - 4 numbers
- Red chilli powder - 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder - 1 teaspoon
- Asafoetida / hing - ½ teaspoon
- Salt - as required
- Oil - 5 tablespoons
- Rinse and wash the bitter gourd. Cut and remove both the ends of the bitter gourd and cut it into small pieces or slices or as preferred. Before chopping remove the seed part.
- Transfer the chopped pieces to a bowl, add a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of turmeric powder and let it soak in water for around 15-30 minutes.
- Heat a pan and add a few tablespoons of oil. Add mustard seeds, dry red chilli and chopped garlic and fry.
- Pour the tamarind juice and let it thicken. Add fenugreek powder, red chilli powder, asafoetida, and salt as required.
- Drain the soaked bitter gourd pieces, add them to the pan and mix well. Add oil if required. Once the oil starts to separate switch off the flame.
- This can be stored in an airtight container and can be consumed for a month. Make sure to use a clean and dry spoon.
Quick Access To
Kandra foods ships all over India ( to all the pin codes), and usually it takes 1-4 days to reach the destination based on zones you belong to.
No we don’t charge any extra for shipping the products prices are all inclusive.
The best thing you can do is to ask your security or neighbor to collect it and keep it with them and you can later collect it from them. If you don’t respond the product will be sent back to us and you may have to still bear all the shipping costs to get it delivered.
There is no minimum or maximum order value, when your order is worth Rs 2000 and more you would get a discount and you can avail it any time including the current order.you can proceed ordering as much quantity and varieties you can. For corporate orders you are requested to do an online transfer to the bank account instead of paying online on the website.
Yes, we may have seasonal deals and discounts and its not assured always, but then you can always avail a discount when your order is worth Rs. 2000 and more, you can ask for it over the chat or write to us or call directly to the available number on the website.
Yes, we serve custom orders for occasions like Srimantham (Baby shower), Oni function, festivals, small events, marriages, naming ceremonies, etc.
Yes, you can. You have to specifically mention it during your purchase, sometimes it would be chargeable based on the purchase value, product, event/occasions etc.
Yes, you can order at least 7 days in advance. So we make sure it's delivered on time to your door. We serve at least 200+ function/bulk orders every month, the most common functions we serve are the baby shower (Srimantham), Oni function, Naming ceremony etc.
We don’t have any returns for food items. In case if its any other non perishable product based on the concerns and by validating it by the concerned team we may accept the returns.
Its an amazing opportunity for the women who has passion for cooking and writing! our platforms allows everyone to share their knowledge and earn in parallel. Now you can utilize your free time for sharing your knowledge on KandraFoods,
- You should be passionate about cooking & related & love sharing the same with the community
- You should be proficient writing in your mother tongue or in English
- You should know the basic email communication and english
There are no reviews yet.