- Chana dal / Split chickpeas contains high protein and fiber which makes it ideal for weight loss and diabetic diets. It helps to control cholesterol levels and reduce hypertension.
- It has anti inflammatory properties and healthy fats that are helpful for treating inflammation.
- It is mineral rich with calcium, phosphorus and magnesium that strengthens bones and teeth
- It is a natural source of potassium that helps in lowering the blood pressure levels and is good for heart health
- Iron and other minerals help prevent anemia and enhance metabolism.
- Gram flour contains high protein and fibre which makes it ideal for weight loss. It helps to control cholesterol levels and reduce hypertension.
- Turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties that can prevent many chronic diseases like cancer, metabolic syndrome and Alzheimer's disease. It can also boost memory power.
- It helps in increasing the body's own antioxidants.
- Curry leaves are rich with antioxidants that prevent oxidative damage and help support the cardiovascular system and nervous system.
- It helps in maintaining blood glucose levels and secretion of insulin hence ideal to be included in diabetic diet.
- It also has nutrients that are healthy for eyes, skin and hair.
- Chickpeas are loaded with protein which makes it an alternative to meat in case of vegetarian and vegan diets.
- Soaked chana dal is also used in preparing Indian soups, salads and curries.
- Chana dal has a low glycemic index (GI) and can be good for people with type 2 diabetes.
- Soaking pulses can aid in saving the cooking time as it softens the dal. It also helps in removing the anti nutritional contents present in them.
- Chana dal has folic acid with loaded folates which can prevent diseases like stroke, depression, dementia and others.
- Nei kadalai can also be improved as a chaat or street food by adding a few extra ingredients.
Suggested consumable by age groups
- A small bowl of Nei Kadalai can be consumed by all age groups.
Good times to eat:
- It can be eaten anytime and is perfect as an evening snack.
Eat along with:
- It can be enjoyed alongside a hot cup of tea or coffee.
When not to eat or eat more often:
- Consuming often is not advisable as it is a deep fried snack.
Story/History of recipe
Gram dal / Chana dal / kadalai paruppu is one of the most used ingredients in Indian cuisine. All over the country it is used in many side dishes. This staple ingredient is also used as a namkeen / snack by frying and adding Indian spices. Nei kadalai is prepared by using pre soaked chana dal which is slightly puffed up and looks similar to sweet corn kernels. It is a common and simple household snack of Tamil Nadu.
Recipe Ingredients, Preparation Steps and Occasions Served
Watch Recipe Video
Event/Festivals Served/Most Popular During
The following are the ingredients needed for preparing Nei Kadalai,
- Bengal gram dal/Chana dal/split chickpeas - 1 cup
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 teaspoon
- Chilli powder - 1/2 teaspoon or as preferred
- Asafoetida/hing - 1/4 teaspoon
- Curry leaves - 4 or 5 leaves
- Salt as required
- Water - 2 cups
- Oil for deep fry.
- Rinse and soak one cup of chana dal in two cups of water for 3+ hours or overnight
- When it has soaked well drain the water and transfer to a bowl.
- Heat the pan with oil for deep fry at medium to high flame.
- Lower the flame, add soaked chana dal and deep fry at medium flame.
- Add a quarter teaspoon of turmeric powder and take chana dal out when it is fried.
- If you are preparing larger quantities, fry them batch by batch but add the entire amount of turmeric powder required for the recipe while frying the first batch alone as it will be sufficient and get mixed perfectly with chana dal while it is frying.
- Alternatively, you can also add and mix turmeric powder after frying while adding other spices.
- Take fried chana dal and place it on a strainer or tissue cloth to remove excess oil.
- Transfer it to a bowl add chilli powder, asafoetida and salt. Mix the contents well.
- Lastly, in the same pan, fry curry leaves and mix with the prepared Nei Kadalai or also can be used for garnishing.
Kandra foods ships all over India ( to all the pin codes), and usually it takes 1-4 days to reach the destination based on zones you belong to.
No we don’t charge any extra for shipping the products prices are all inclusive.
The best thing you can do is to ask your security or neighbor to collect it and keep it with them and you can later collect it from them. If you don’t respond the product will be sent back to us and you may have to still bear all the shipping costs to get it delivered.
There is no minimum or maximum order value, when your order is worth Rs 2000 and more you would get a discount and you can avail it any time including the current order.you can proceed ordering as much quantity and varieties you can. For corporate orders you are requested to do an online transfer to the bank account instead of paying online on the website.
Yes, we may have seasonal deals and discounts and its not assured always, but then you can always avail a discount when your order is worth Rs. 2000 and more, you can ask for it over the chat or write to us or call directly to the available number on the website.
Yes, we serve custom orders for occasions like Srimantham (Baby shower), Oni function, festivals, small events, marriages, naming ceremonies, etc.
Yes, you can. You have to specifically mention it during your purchase, sometimes it would be chargeable based on the purchase value, product, event/occasions etc.
Yes, you can order at least 7 days in advance. So we make sure it's delivered on time to your door. We serve at least 200+ function/bulk orders every month, the most common functions we serve are the baby shower (Srimantham), Oni function, Naming ceremony etc.
Its an amazing opportunity for the women who has passion for cooking and writing! our platforms allows everyone to share their knowledge and earn in parallel. Now you can utilize your free time for sharing your knowledge on KandraFoods,
- You should be passionate about cooking & related & love sharing the same with the community
- You should be proficient writing in your mother tongue or in English
- You should know the basic email communication and english