Story/History of recipe
Mango pickle is a renowned pickle variety in South India. It is also known as Avakaaya and it is originally from Andhra Pradesh. It is an ancient and traditional recipe that is being prepared for many centuries. Even though there are other different variations available, the most common ingredients of this pickle are mango, mustard seed, red chilli powder and salt. Other various spices are also included in the original recipe still, Tamil Nadu’s version of the same is comparatively less spicy than Andra Pradesh’s mango pickle. Owing to the simple recipe and great taste it is one of the common household condiments of South India.
Recipe Ingredients, Preparation Steps and Occasions Served
Watch Recipe Video
Event/Festivals Served/Most Popular During
The following are the ingredients needed to prepare Mango pickle,
- Mango - 1 medium-sized
- Garlic paste - 1 tablespoon
- Dry red chillis - 3 numbers
- Mustard seeds - ½ tablespoon
- Fenugreek seeds powder - 1 tablespoon
- Red chilli powder - 1 teaspoon or as preferred
- Turmeric powder - ¼ teaspoon
- Salt - 1 teaspoon or as required
- Oil - ¼ cup
- Rinse and wash mango. Dry it by wiping it with a white cloth. Finely chop and keep it aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add red chilli powder, fenugreek powder, turmeric powder, garlic paste and salt. Give it a good mix and keep it aside as well.
- Heat a pan with oil and add mustard seeds, as it splutters add roughly chopped dry red chillies.
- Switch off the flame in a few seconds and pour this into the bowl of spices.
- Add finely chopped mango to the same bowl and mix all the contents.
- Once it has mixed well transfer it to a glass jar or any airtight container and let it rest overnight.
- Mango pickle can be consumed for a month. Make sure to use a clean and dry spoon while consuming.
- Mango is loaded with vitamin C which helps boost the immune system and improves absorption of iron.
- The fiber in mango supports the digestive system and prevents constipation.
- It contains a good amount of antioxidants that help in removing free radicals and prevents cell damage and the risk of cancer.
- It is loaded with many vitamins and minerals that are beneficial for eye and skin health. It also helps in regulating blood sugar levels
- Magnesium and potassium content helps in lowering blood pressure levels and cholesterol levels. It helps in preventing hypertension and promotes heart health.
- Garlic is one of the best options to boost the immune system. The vitamins and other nutrients help with curing common illnesses. Regular consumption of a significant amount of garlic may also help prevent chronic diseases such as cancer.
- Antioxidants in garlic support brain health and help in reducing the risk of Alzheimer's disease and dementia.
- Fenugreek powder helps boost metabolism and is beneficial for people with type 1 and 2 diabetes. It supports the lowering of blood sugar levels.
- Mango is popularly known as “the king of fruits” and is the national fruit of countries like India, the Philippines and Pakistan.
- Mango is cultivated for over 4000 years and the oldest ever known tree is 300 years old.
- Mangiferin, a special polyphenol is present in mangoes. It has many health-promoting properties and also plays an important role in reducing cholesterol and fatty acids.
- Mango pickle is world-famous and is also popularly exported to countries like the US, Europe and Japan
- There are many optional ingredients that can be included in the recipe like ginger, garlic, onion, jaggery, chickpeas, etc.
- The mango exclusively used for pickling is largely available during the summer season hence these are mostly prepared during summers. The heat during the summer season also impacts the shelf life of the pickle.
- In India, there are about 17 different types of mango pickles or avakaya are available.
Suggested consumable by age groups
- A significant quantity of one to two tablespoons or pieces of mango pickle can be consumed by all age groups.
Good times to eat:
- It is perfect for lunchtime as a side dish for curd rice
Eat along with:
- It can be eaten alongside Indian lunch or tiffin varieties
- It can also be mixed with hot boiled rice.
When not to eat or eat more often:
- It is advisable to eat in moderation.
Kandra foods ships all over India ( to all the pin codes), and usually it takes 1-4 days to reach the destination based on zones you belong to.
No we don’t charge any extra for shipping the products prices are all inclusive.
The best thing you can do is to ask your security or neighbor to collect it and keep it with them and you can later collect it from them. If you don’t respond the product will be sent back to us and you may have to still bear all the shipping costs to get it delivered.
There is no minimum or maximum order value, when your order is worth Rs 2000 and more you would get a discount and you can avail it any time including the current order.you can proceed ordering as much quantity and varieties you can. For corporate orders you are requested to do an online transfer to the bank account instead of paying online on the website.
Yes, we may have seasonal deals and discounts and its not assured always, but then you can always avail a discount when your order is worth Rs. 2000 and more, you can ask for it over the chat or write to us or call directly to the available number on the website.
Yes, we serve custom orders for occasions like Srimantham (Baby shower), Oni function, festivals, small events, marriages, naming ceremonies, etc.
Yes, you can. You have to specifically mention it during your purchase, sometimes it would be chargeable based on the purchase value, product, event/occasions etc.
Yes, you can order at least 7 days in advance. So we make sure it's delivered on time to your door. We serve at least 200+ function/bulk orders every month, the most common functions we serve are the baby shower (Srimantham), Oni function, Naming ceremony etc.
Its an amazing opportunity for the women who has passion for cooking and writing! our platforms allows everyone to share their knowledge and earn in parallel. Now you can utilize your free time for sharing your knowledge on KandraFoods,
- You should be passionate about cooking & related & love sharing the same with the community
- You should be proficient writing in your mother tongue or in English
- You should know the basic email communication and english