- Interesting Facts
- Recipe/Cooking Process
- Why KandraFoods?
- Become a Contributor (Earn by writing)
- Carbohydrates - 4 g
- Fiber - 1 g
- Protein - 2 g
- Calcium - 74 mg
- Magnesium - 25 mg
- Phosphorus - 38 mg
- Potassium - 71 mg
- Vitamins - 6 mg
- Lemon contains soluble fiber which can promote gut health and prevent digestive issues.
- It is a good source of vitamin C which promotes heart health, boosts the immune system, and prevents chronic diseases. Along with citric acid, it helps with the absorption of minerals like iron and thereby prevents anemia.
- Potassium present in lemon improves nerves and muscles and along with citric acid, it helps with preventing kidney stones.
- Calcium content help in strengthening teeth and bones and prevents osteoporosis.
- Antioxidants present in lemons can prevent cell damage and thereby prevents the risk of cancer.
- Regular consumption of lemon can lower the blood pressure level and prevents the risk of stroke.
- Fenugreek powder helps boost metabolism and is beneficial for people with type 1 and 2 diabetes. It supports in lowering of blood sugar levels.
- Lemon pickle was part of Ayurvedic and East African Folk medicine to cure stomach-related disorders and for excessive growth of the spleen.
- The preservation process of fermentation can result in the chemical breakdown of sugar and starch content present in lemon.
- Lemon trees can produce up to 272 kg of lemons every year.
- During the Renaissance period, lemon juice was used by women to redden the lips.
- India is one of the top five producers of lemon in the world.
- Preserved lemons are commonly used in Mediterranean and Middle East dishes.
- A lemon can contain about 31 mg of vitamin C, which is 51% of the Recommended Daily Intake (RDI)
- Another variation of the same where it is prepared with sugar is called as Sweet and Sour Lemon pickle.
Suggested consumable by age groups
- A significant quantity of one to two tablespoons or pieces of lemon pickle can be consumed by all age groups.
Good times to eat:
- It is perfect for lunchtime alongside curd rice.
Eat along with:
- It can be eaten alongside lunch varieties.
When not to eat or eat more often:
- It is advisable to eat in moderation.
Story/History of recipe
The name lemon came from the Asian word “sour fruit” as the citric acid present in lemon gives it a strong taste of sourness which is perfect for pickle recipes. The method of preserving lemons was originated from North Africa and spread across the world. Earlier, it was pickled with water, lemon juice, and salt, later on, spices were included. Lemon pickles are common in Indian and African cuisines. Preserved lemons had multiple purposes and were included in various dishes. Traditional Indian lemon pickles have spicy and sour flavors as it is prepared with Indian spices.
Recipe Ingredients, Preparation Steps and Occasions Served
Watch Recipe Video
Event/Festivals Served/Most Popular During
- Ellu Bella In Chennai From:
- Ellu Bella In Hyderabad From:
- Ellu Bella In Bangalore From:
- Health Benefits of Ellu Bella From:
- Ellu Bella Recipe Preparation Steps From:
- Organic Turmeric Powder From:
The following are the ingredients needed to prepare Lemon pickle,
- Lemon - 4 medium-sized
- Red chilli powder - ¼ cup or as preferred
- Mustard - ½ teaspoon
- Fenugreek powder - 1 teaspoon
- Asafoetida / Hing - ½ teaspoon
- Turmeric powder - ½ teaspoon
- Salt as required
- Oil - ¼ cup or as preferred (can be optional)
- In a vessel, boil the lemons in water. Let it boil until the skin softens and cracks.
- Alternatively, lemons can be sundried or heated in an oven.
- Chop the lemons into small size and remove the seeds. Transfer it to a bowl, add about a teaspoon of salt and give it a mix. Keep this aside and let it rest for 15-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a pan with a few tablespoons of oil and add a half teaspoon of mustard seeds.
- Let it fry and add half a teaspoon of turmeric powder, asafoetida and fenugreek powder. Switch off the flame.
- Pour this content into the bowl of lemon and mix well. Make sure to pour in the remaining oil as well.
- In an optional way, lemon juice in the lemons used can also be used to replace and completely eliminate oil in the recipe.
- Store it in an airtight container or jar and can be consumed for about a month. Use only clean and dry spoons for longer shelf life.
Quick Access To
Kandra foods ships all over India ( to all the pin codes), and usually it takes 1-4 days to reach the destination based on zones you belong to.
No we don’t charge any extra for shipping the products prices are all inclusive.
The best thing you can do is to ask your security or neighbor to collect it and keep it with them and you can later collect it from them. If you don’t respond the product will be sent back to us and you may have to still bear all the shipping costs to get it delivered.
There is no minimum or maximum order value, when your order is worth Rs 2000 and more you would get a discount and you can avail it any time including the current order.you can proceed ordering as much quantity and varieties you can. For corporate orders you are requested to do an online transfer to the bank account instead of paying online on the website.
Yes, we may have seasonal deals and discounts and its not assured always, but then you can always avail a discount when your order is worth Rs. 2000 and more, you can ask for it over the chat or write to us or call directly to the available number on the website.
Yes, we serve custom orders for occasions like Srimantham (Baby shower), Oni function, festivals, small events, marriages, naming ceremonies, etc.
Yes, you can. You have to specifically mention it during your purchase, sometimes it would be chargeable based on the purchase value, product, event/occasions etc.
Yes, you can order at least 7 days in advance. So we make sure it's delivered on time to your door. We serve at least 200+ function/bulk orders every month, the most common functions we serve are the baby shower (Srimantham), Oni function, Naming ceremony etc.
We don’t have any returns for food items. In case if its any other non perishable product based on the concerns and by validating it by the concerned team we may accept the returns.
Its an amazing opportunity for the women who has passion for cooking and writing! our platforms allows everyone to share their knowledge and earn in parallel. Now you can utilize your free time for sharing your knowledge on KandraFoods,
- You should be passionate about cooking & related & love sharing the same with the community
- You should be proficient writing in your mother tongue or in English
- You should know the basic email communication and english
There are no reviews yet.