Story/History of recipe
Khaju Anjeera Roll is one of the popular sweets of India. As the name suggests it is prepared with Cashews (Khaju) and dry figs (anjeer) as the main ingredients. It has an outer layer prepared with cashew and sugar dough and has a dry fig paste with chopped nuts as a filling on the inside. It is a simple yet beautiful sweet that can be shared to celebrate any special occasion and for festivals like Diwali and Raksha Bandhan.
Recipe Ingredients, Preparation Steps and Occasions Served
Watch Recipe Video
Event/Festivals Served/Most Popular During
- Ellu Bella In Chennai From:
- Ellu Bella In Hyderabad From:
- Ellu Bella In Bangalore From:
- Health Benefits of Ellu Bella From:
- Ellu Bella Recipe Preparation Steps From:
- Organic Turmeric Powder From:
The following are the ingredients needed to prepare Khaju Anjeera Rolls,
- Cashews - 1 cup
- Dry figs - 8-10 pieces
- Sugar - ½ cup
- Water - ¼ cup
- Milk/ milk powder - 2 tablespoons
- Ghee - 4 tablespoons
- Cardamom powder - ¼ teaspoon
- Nuts - ¼ cup (A mixture of dry roasted cashews and almonds that are chopped or coarsely ground)
- Edible silver foil / Vark - 1 sheet (optional)
To prepare the dry fig (anjeer) filling:
- Soak dry figs in hot water for 15-30 minutes.
- Cut them into small pieces and blend them into a fine paste.
- In a wide non-stick pan add a teaspoon of ghee and the fig paste.
- Stir well. Add two tablespoons of milk powder and a quarter cup of chopped nuts.
- Keep stirring until the moisture dries out and becomes a soft dough.
- Transfer it to a greased plate and let it rest.
To prepare the cashew (Khaju) dough:
- Grind cashews to a fine powder, sieve and keep it aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the pan for sugar syrup. Add sugar and water.
- Let the sugar melt, add a pinch of cardamom powder and stir well.
- Let the syrup cook until it attains one string consistency.
- At this stage, add the finely powdered cashews and mix well.
- Continue to stir and make sure it doesn't get burnt in the bottom part.
- Add a tablespoon of ghee and keep stirring until it becomes a soft and non-sticky dough.
- Transfer it to a greased plate and let it cool down.
To prepare Khaju Anjeer rolls:
- Grease your palm with ghee before getting ready to roll and prepare the sweet.
- Take the dry fig and nuts mixture and roll it into a thin and long log. Keep this aside.
- Take the cashew dough and gently knead it into a big ball similar to chapati dough.
- On the countertop or any flat surface place the cashew dough in between two butter papers/parchment papers and flatten it with a rolling pin.
- The flattened dough must be slightly thick and rectangular in shape.
- Place the rolled fig and nuts mixture in the center of the flattened cashew dough.
- Wrap and seal the sides by rolling the dough.
- Continue to roll until it is tightly sealed.
- Carefully cover the roll with the silver vark sheet as it is so fragile and make sure it doesn't stick to your hands.
- Cut the roll into equal-sized pieces.
- Refrigerate if needed, and it is ready to consume once it has set well.
- If stored in an airtight container Khaju Anjeer rolls can stay fresh for a week or two.
- Interesting Facts
- Recipe/Cooking Process
- Why KandraFoods?
- Become a Contributor (Earn by writing)
- Energy - 152 cal
- Protein - 4.2g - 8%
- Carbohydrates 15g - 5%
- Fiber - 1.1g - 4%
- Fat - 8.7g - 13%
- Cholesterol - 0mg - 0%
- Vitamin A - 52 mcg - 1%
- Vitamin C - 1.1mcg - 3%
- (Vitamin B9) Folic Acid - 1mcg - 0%
- Calcium - 176mg - 29%
- Iron - 0.5mg - 2%
- Potassium - 76mg - 2%
- Sodium - 1.1mg - 0%
- Magnesium - 15 mg - 4%
- Phosphorus - 88 mg - 15%
- Zinc - 0.2mg - 2%
- Cashews contain healthy fats, protein and calcium which improves brain and bone health.
- It also has antioxidants and helps in the prevention of inflammation and other diseases.
- It is packed with minerals like magnesium and iron. It can help with reducing the risk of heart diseases, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and prevent anemia.
- Figs are loaded with fiber that helps in many digestive-related issues and acts as prebiotic and promotes gut health.
- It can help control blood sugar and fat levels and thereby prevent the risk of heart issues like cardiovascular diseases. It also helps maintain blood sugar levels.
- The calcium and potassium content helps in strengthening bones and prevent osteoporosis.
- Milk is a good source of protein as it contains all essential amino acids.
- It contains calcium along with other nutrients and vitamins which helps in increasing bone density.
- Almonds are loaded with fiber, protein and healthy fats hence can be included in a healthy diet for weight loss.
- It is rich in vitamin E, reducing the risk of heart problems, cancer, and Alzheimer's disease.
- Ghee helps absorb nutrients and can improve the immune system as it contains antioxidants. It can also relieve digestion issues.
- Other popular variations of the same include the Anjeer roll and the Khaju Pista roll.
- Cashews are native to North-Eastern Brazil and were brought to India in the 1560s by the Portuguese sailors.
- Figs contain more potassium compared to bananas.
- Some believe that the forbidden fruit in the Garden of Eden was figs and not apples.
- Cashew butter and cheese are available for vegans as one of the alternatives to cow’s milk products.
- The word Vark/Varaq means a cloth or cloak or anything that is used to cover. It is a silver layer used popularly in South Asian sweets for garnishing purposes only and doesn’t have any taste of its own.
Suggested consumable by age groups
- A significant quantity of one to two pieces of Khaju Anjeera Rolls can be consumed by all age groups.
Good times to eat:
- It is perfect as an evening snack or dessert.
Eat along with:
- It can be eaten as it is or alongside any Indian snacks.
When not to eat or eat more often:
- Diabetic patients should avoid consuming.
Quick Access To
Kandra foods ships all over India ( to all the pin codes), and usually it takes 1-4 days to reach the destination based on zones you belong to.
No we don’t charge any extra for shipping the products prices are all inclusive.
The best thing you can do is to ask your security or neighbor to collect it and keep it with them and you can later collect it from them. If you don’t respond the product will be sent back to us and you may have to still bear all the shipping costs to get it delivered.
There is no minimum or maximum order value, when your order is worth Rs 2000 and more you would get a discount and you can avail it any time including the current order.you can proceed ordering as much quantity and varieties you can. For corporate orders you are requested to do an online transfer to the bank account instead of paying online on the website.
Yes, we may have seasonal deals and discounts and its not assured always, but then you can always avail a discount when your order is worth Rs. 2000 and more, you can ask for it over the chat or write to us or call directly to the available number on the website.
Yes, we serve custom orders for occasions like Srimantham (Baby shower), Oni function, festivals, small events, marriages, naming ceremonies, etc.
Yes, you can. You have to specifically mention it during your purchase, sometimes it would be chargeable based on the purchase value, product, event/occasions etc.
Yes, you can order at least 7 days in advance. So we make sure it's delivered on time to your door. We serve at least 200+ function/bulk orders every month, the most common functions we serve are the baby shower (Srimantham), Oni function, Naming ceremony etc.
We don’t have any returns for food items. In case if its any other non perishable product based on the concerns and by validating it by the concerned team we may accept the returns.
Its an amazing opportunity for the women who has passion for cooking and writing! our platforms allows everyone to share their knowledge and earn in parallel. Now you can utilize your free time for sharing your knowledge on KandraFoods,
- You should be passionate about cooking & related & love sharing the same with the community
- You should be proficient writing in your mother tongue or in English
- You should know the basic email communication and english
There are no reviews yet.