- Palm sugar contains antioxidants and fiber. It is ideal to be included in a weight loss diet.
- It is rich with B vitamins and iron which can help prevent anemia and can boost energy.
- It is loaded with minerals like potassium and calcium which can improve bone health and magnesium supports nervous system activity.
- It releases enzymes that can be helpful for good digestion.
- It also contains nutrients that help with clearing out impurities in the body and prevents bacteria in the gut.
- Gram flour contains high protein and fibre which makes it ideal for weight loss. It helps to control cholesterol levels and reduce hypertension
- It contains magnesium that helps to maintain blood pressure and prevents cardiovascular health problems.
- Iron and other minerals help prevent anemia and enhance metabolism.
- Overall, gram flour is rich in nutrients that supports bone and heart health.
- Both gram flour and rice flour are ideal to be included in a gluten free diet
- Few cuisines like Asian, Middle East and North African include palm sugar in both sweet and savoury dishes.
- Palm sugar has a lower glycemic index and contains low glucose compared to sugar and honey.
- Palm sugar is made from the sap of palm trees and contains plant based vitamins and minerals.
- It holds back all the nutrients and contains zero chemicals.
- Major producers of palm sugar include Thailand, Indonesia and the Philippines.
- The hometown of all types of Sev including Karupatti Sev in Tamil Nadu is Sattur.
Suggested consumable by age groups
- One bowl of Karupatti Sev can be enjoyed by all age groups.
Good times to eat:
- It can be eaten after a meal or simply as an evening sweet.
Eat along with:
- This can be eaten as it is.
When not to eat or eat more often:
- Consuming it often is not advisable as it is deep fried and high in fructose.
Story/History of recipe
Sev is an Indian savoury snack that has a lot of variations and is popular all over the country. One of such varieties is 'Kara Sev' which is originally from Tamil Nadu. Karupatti Sev is a sweet version of the same. It is prepared by mixing the palm sugar syrup with plain sev. Palm sugar has been in use for many years in traditional South Indian dishes like Karupatti Sev and even today it is preferred as the healthy alternative for sugar.
Recipe Ingredients, Preparation Steps and Occasions Served
To prepare dough:
- Take a large bowl, add gram flour, rice flour, cardamom powder and butter. Give it a mix.
- Add water little by little and knead the contents into a soft dough.
To prepare Sev:
- In a heavy bottomed pan, add oil as required for deep fry and let it heat at high flame.
- Take the murukku maker/mould, use the disc with a medium sized hole, grease it with oil and fill in the prepared dough.
- If the oil is hot enough, lower the flame and start squeezing the dough directly into the pan.
- Squeeze them in big rounds based on the pan's capacity.
- On the other hand, you can also use the specific 'Sev Kattai', it can be prepared by pressing and rubbing the dough to and fro on top of it.
- Wait till it slightly turns into light brown and gently flip it.
- Once the bubbles have stopped take them out and place it on a strainer or tissue paper.
- Repeat the process for remaining dough, break them into pieces and keep it aside.
To prepare Karupatti Sev:
- In a pan add half a cup of palm sugar and a few tablespoons of water or as required to melt it.
- Keep stirring at low flame until it turns into a syrup.
- Filter this syrup to remove impurities and add it to a fresh heavy bottomed pan.
- Stir the syrup for a while and add the prepared Sev.
- Once the Sev is completely coated with the syrup switch off the flame.
- Transfer the contents to a plate, spread them and let it cool down.
- Prepared Karupatti Sev can be stored in an airtight container and enjoyed for a week.
Kandra foods ships all over India ( to all the pin codes), and usually it takes 1-4 days to reach the destination based on zones you belong to.
No we don’t charge any extra for shipping the products prices are all inclusive.
The best thing you can do is to ask your security or neighbor to collect it and keep it with them and you can later collect it from them. If you don’t respond the product will be sent back to us and you may have to still bear all the shipping costs to get it delivered.
There is no minimum or maximum order value, when your order is worth Rs 2000 and more you would get a discount and you can avail it any time including the current order.you can proceed ordering as much quantity and varieties you can. For corporate orders you are requested to do an online transfer to the bank account instead of paying online on the website.
Yes, we may have seasonal deals and discounts and its not assured always, but then you can always avail a discount when your order is worth Rs. 2000 and more, you can ask for it over the chat or write to us or call directly to the available number on the website.
Yes, we serve custom orders for occasions like Srimantham (Baby shower), Oni function, festivals, small events, marriages, naming ceremonies, etc.
Yes, you can. You have to specifically mention it during your purchase, sometimes it would be chargeable based on the purchase value, product, event/occasions etc.
Yes, you can order at least 7 days in advance. So we make sure it's delivered on time to your door. We serve at least 200+ function/bulk orders every month, the most common functions we serve are the baby shower (Srimantham), Oni function, Naming ceremony etc.
Its an amazing opportunity for the women who has passion for cooking and writing! our platforms allows everyone to share their knowledge and earn in parallel. Now you can utilize your free time for sharing your knowledge on KandraFoods,
- You should be passionate about cooking & related & love sharing the same with the community
- You should be proficient writing in your mother tongue or in English
- You should know the basic email communication and english