Story/History of recipe
The diversity and cultural depth of India can be seen even with a simple snack, the nationwide favourite treat Kala Kala biscuits which is commonly known as sweet diamond cuts has many names and is prepared for many diverse occasions. These are prepared for festivals like Diwali and Christmas. As a kid's favourite snack and as it is a simple recipe it is a popular and common homemade treat in India.
Recipe Ingredients, Preparation Steps and Occasions Served
Watch Recipe Video
Event/Festivals Served/Most Popular During
The following are the ingredients needed to prepare around 2-3 cups of Kala Kala biscuits,
- Maida / all purpose flour - 1 cup
If wheat is preferred then half a cup of wheat flour and half a cup of maida.
- Sugar - 1/2 cup
- Cooking soda - a pinch (optional)
- Cardamom powder - a pinch
- Salt - a pinch
- Ghee - 1 tablespoon
- Water as required for dough
- Oil for deep fry
For preparing the dough:
- In a large bowl add flour, a pinch of salt, baking soda and cardamom powder. Mix the contents after adding ghee.
- Add water little by little and knead it into a semi soft ball.
- Grease the dough with one teaspoon of oil, close it with a lid and let it rest for ten minutes.
- Take a heavy bottomed pan, add oil as required for deep frying and let it heat at low to medium flame.
- Divide the prepared dough into equal sized medium balls.
- Take one of those balls and flatten it into a slightly thick sheet. Keep dusting them with flour as you flatten so that the dough won't stick to the surface.
- Once the sheet is ready, cut them into small diamond shapes using a pizza cutter or knife. For diamond shape, first cut straight lines then diagonal lines.
- Transfer these pieces to a plate.
- Check whether the oil is hot enough and add these pieces.
- Let it fry and give it a mix to cook evenly.
- Once it starts turning brown and the crispness is visible take them out. Place it on a strainer or tissue paper to remove excess oil.
- Repeat the process for remaining balls. You can fry them batch by batch.
For sugar syrup:
- In a pan add half a cup of sugar and a little less than half a cup of water and mix them at medium flame.
- Keep stirring until sugar melts and attains string consistency.
- Along with this the syrup will start to turn white and sticky.
- At this stage, add the fried pieces and mix them.
- Make sure you don't break the pieces at the same time, mix quickly as the syrup will start to crystallize soon.
Alternatively you can try with jaggery instead of the original ingredient, sugar.
- In that case, first melt the jaggery and strain it. Add this melted jaggery syrup in a fresh pan and boil it until it thickens. Then add fried pieces to it and mix well.
Once it has mixed well let it cool then it can be stored in an airtight container and can stay crisp for a week.
- Interesting Facts
- Recipe/Cooking Process
- Why KandraFoods?
- Become a Contributor (Earn by writing)
- Energy - 319 cal
- Protein - 5 g - 10%
- Carbohydrates - 38 g - 13%
- Fiber - 5 g - 18%
- Fat - 17 g - 23%
- Cholesterol - 2 mg - 1%
- Vitamin A - 154 mcg - 5%
- Vitamin B1 - 0.2 mg - 17%
- Vitamin B2 - 0.1 mg - 8%
- Vitamin B3 - 2 mg - 13%
- Vitamin B9 - 15 mcg - 4%
- Vitamin C - 0.1 mg - 0%
- Vitamin E - 0.3 mg - 2%
- Calcium - 40 mg - 3%
- Iron - 2 mg - 11%
- Potassium - 132 mg - 3%
- Sodium - 10 mg - 0%
- Magnesium - 54 mg - 13%
- Wheat is rich in fibre and helps with digestion and improves gut health.
- The mineral content helps bone health and the vitamins make it the best source of energy.
- It is also famously known as Shakarpara in Maharashtra, Karnataka and Gujarat.
- Savoury version of the same is also available, it is prepared with chilli powder and garlic. It is a quick snack and with minor changes it is easy to prepare and serve both sweet and savoury.
- Though it is popularly known as maida biscuits a healthy alternative can be made by using wheat flour entirely in place of maida.
Suggested consumable by age groups
- A minimum of one small cup can be enjoyed by all age groups.
Good times to eat:
- This is perfect to munch during study breaks or as an evening snack.
Eat along with:
- This can be eaten alongside a hot cup of tea or coffee with the spicy version of the same.
When not to eat or eat more often:
- Diabetic patients are advised not to eat.
Kandra foods ships all over India ( to all the pin codes), and usually it takes 1-4 days to reach the destination based on zones you belong to.
No we don’t charge any extra for shipping the products prices are all inclusive.
The best thing you can do is to ask your security or neighbor to collect it and keep it with them and you can later collect it from them. If you don’t respond the product will be sent back to us and you may have to still bear all the shipping costs to get it delivered.
There is no minimum or maximum order value, when your order is worth Rs 2000 and more you would get a discount and you can avail it any time including the current order.you can proceed ordering as much quantity and varieties you can. For corporate orders you are requested to do an online transfer to the bank account instead of paying online on the website.
Yes, we may have seasonal deals and discounts and its not assured always, but then you can always avail a discount when your order is worth Rs. 2000 and more, you can ask for it over the chat or write to us or call directly to the available number on the website.
Yes, we serve custom orders for occasions like Srimantham (Baby shower), Oni function, festivals, small events, marriages, naming ceremonies, etc.
Yes, you can. You have to specifically mention it during your purchase, sometimes it would be chargeable based on the purchase value, product, event/occasions etc.
Yes, you can order at least 7 days in advance. So we make sure it's delivered on time to your door. We serve at least 200+ function/bulk orders every month, the most common functions we serve are the baby shower (Srimantham), Oni function, Naming ceremony etc.
Its an amazing opportunity for the women who has passion for cooking and writing! our platforms allows everyone to share their knowledge and earn in parallel. Now you can utilize your free time for sharing your knowledge on KandraFoods,
- You should be passionate about cooking & related & love sharing the same with the community
- You should be proficient writing in your mother tongue or in English
- You should know the basic email communication and english