- Gram flour is rich with nutrients that support bone and heart health.
- It contains high protein and fibre which makes it ideal for weight loss..
- It contains magnesium that helps to maintain blood pressure and prevents heart diseases.
- Iron and other minerals help prevent anemia and enhance metabolism.
- Both rice flour and gram flour are ideal to be included in the gluten free diet.
- Rice flour also contains fibre, phosphorus and potassium
- Cardamom powder has anti bacterial and anti inflammatory properties. It also helps with digestion.
- Similar recipe with jaggery known as 'Manoharam' is a Tirunelveli special sweet.
- Another sweet sev variety called 'Karupatti Sev' which is made with palm sugar is also a traditional South Indian snack like Sweet Sev.
- Apart from Sattur, Kovilpatti another town in Tamil Nadu is also famous for Sweet Sev along with other traditional treats.
- The carbohydrates, fibre, fat and protein content in Sweet Sev can make you feel full once consumed.
- Sugar cane is the world's largest crop, 100+ countries produce sugar and almost every country consumes around 70% of their own production.
- Crystallization of sugar was first done by Indians, it said to be during the Gupta dynasty around 350 AD
Suggested consumable by age groups
- One small bowl of Sweet Sev can be enjoyed by all age groups.
Good times to eat:
- It can be eaten after a meal or as an evening snack.
Eat along with:
- As an evening sweet it can be enjoyed with coffee/tea and snacks.
- It can also be eaten alongside 'Kara Sev', with which it will taste good as a spicy and sweet combo.
When not to eat or eat more often:
- Over consumption is not advisable.
- Diabetic patients shall not eat.
Story/History of recipe
Sattur, a town in Tamil Nadu specialises in different kinds of Sev which is locally known as Sevu. While the original one with crunchy, spicy and garlicky flavour known as 'Kara Sev' is a renowned snack of Sattur, the opposite sweet and soft version has also gained popularity in Tamil Nadu. Sweet sev or Seeni / Inippu Sev is prepared by coating the normal Sev with sugar syrup.
Recipe Ingredients, Preparation Steps and Occasions Served
Watch Recipe Video
Event/Festivals Served/Most Popular During
The following are the ingredients needed for preparing Sweet Sev,
- Gram flour - 1 cup
- Rice flour - 1/4 cup
- Salt - a pinch
- Butter/hot oil - 1 tablespoon
- Sugar - 1 cup or less as preferred
- Water- 1 cup
- Cardamom powder - 1/2 a teaspoon
- Oil as required for frying.
(Half a cup of jaggery can also be used instead of sugar)
To prepare dough:
- Take a large bowl, add gram flour, rice flour, salt and butter. Give it a mix.
- Add water little by little and knead the contents into a soft dough.
To prepare Sev:
- In a heavy bottomed pan, add oil as required for deep fry and let it heat at high flame.
- Take the murukku maker/mould, use the disc with a medium sized hole, grease it with oil and fill in the prepared dough.
- If the oil is hot enough, lower the flame and start squeezing the dough directly into the pan.
- Squeeze them in big rounds based on the pan's capacity.
- On the other hand, you can also use the specific 'Sev Kattai' or any perforated surface with a medium sized hole to press and rub the dough on top of it.
- Wait till it slightly starts to turn into a light brown colour and gently flip it.
- Once the bubbles have stopped take them out and place it on a strainer or tissue paper.
- Repeat the process for remaining dough, break them into pieces and keep it aside.
To prepare Sweet Sev:
- In a pan add one cup of sugar and half a cup of water.
- Keep stirring at low to medium flame until it turns into a syrup.
- Add cardamom powder and stir well until it attains string consistency.
- At this point, add the prepared Sev and mix them in the sugar syrup at low flame.
- Once the Sev is completely coated with sugar syrup switch off the flame.
- Transfer the contents to a plate and let it cool down.
- Stir them gently, make sure they don't get hard and stick together.
- Prepared Sweet Sev can be stored in an airtight container and enjoyed for a week.
Kandra foods ships all over India ( to all the pin codes), and usually it takes 1-4 days to reach the destination based on zones you belong to.
No we don’t charge any extra for shipping the products prices are all inclusive.
The best thing you can do is to ask your security or neighbor to collect it and keep it with them and you can later collect it from them. If you don’t respond the product will be sent back to us and you may have to still bear all the shipping costs to get it delivered.
There is no minimum or maximum order value, when your order is worth Rs 2000 and more you would get a discount and you can avail it any time including the current order.you can proceed ordering as much quantity and varieties you can. For corporate orders you are requested to do an online transfer to the bank account instead of paying online on the website.
Yes, we may have seasonal deals and discounts and its not assured always, but then you can always avail a discount when your order is worth Rs. 2000 and more, you can ask for it over the chat or write to us or call directly to the available number on the website.
Yes, we serve custom orders for occasions like Srimantham (Baby shower), Oni function, festivals, small events, marriages, naming ceremonies, etc.
Yes, you can. You have to specifically mention it during your purchase, sometimes it would be chargeable based on the purchase value, product, event/occasions etc.
Yes, you can order at least 7 days in advance. So we make sure it's delivered on time to your door. We serve at least 200+ function/bulk orders every month, the most common functions we serve are the baby shower (Srimantham), Oni function, Naming ceremony etc.
Its an amazing opportunity for the women who has passion for cooking and writing! our platforms allows everyone to share their knowledge and earn in parallel. Now you can utilize your free time for sharing your knowledge on KandraFoods,
- You should be passionate about cooking & related & love sharing the same with the community
- You should be proficient writing in your mother tongue or in English
- You should know the basic email communication and english