- Wheat is rich in fiber and helps with digestion, improves gut health and can also prevent type 2 diabetes.
- Minerals like phosphorus and calcium help in maintenance and development of body tissues and strengthening of bones.
- The potassium content helps in lowering blood pressure levels and promotes a healthy heart.
- It contains a good amount of B vitamins that are healthy for pregnant women. It helps in the growth of body cells, improve metabolism and increase energy levels..
- Ghee helps absorb nutrients and can improve the immune system as it contains antioxidants. It can also relieve digestion issues.
- Ooty Varkey is also eaten like a cereal breakfast by soaking them for around 8-10 minutes in boiling milk.
- It is prepared in the traditional way without any machinery by using handmade dough and is baked in an old style fire wood brick oven.
- Other variations of Ooty Varkey can be customised with semolina, coconut, chocolate filling or extra ghee as per preference.
- Apart from baking, Ooty Varkey can also be prepared by deep frying in oil.
- Even though the actual origin of the recipe is quite unknown the word Varkey is similar to an Urdu word 'Varq' which means 'thin layer'.
Suggested consumable by age groups
- A significant quantity of one or two medium sized Ooty Varkey can be enjoyed by all age groups.
Good times to eat:
- It is perfect as an evening snack.
Eat along with:
- It can be eaten as it is or alongside a hot cup of tea or coffee.
When not to eat or eat more often:
- Diabetic patients should avoid consuming.
Story/History of recipe
Ooty Varkey is a baked food that is originally from Ooty and is popular in South India. The recipe is inspired from and a slight rendition of the French puff pastry. It has been prepared by the bakers of the city since the pre colonial era. The best part of why the original Ooty Varkey stands alone is because of the water and weather conditions of the city Ooty which enhances the recipe.
Recipe Ingredients, Preparation Steps and Occasions Served
Watch Recipe Video
Event/Festivals Served/Most Popular During
- In a bowl, add three cups of maida/ wheat flour, one cup of sugar, a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of oil and mix the contents.
- Once it is mixed as a crumbly mixture, sprinkle water and knead it into a soft dough.
- Do not pour in too much water.
- Roll the kneaded soft dough into a big ball and add a teaspoon of oil on top of it. Cover the bowl with a cloth and keep it aside for a couple of hours or refrigerate it overnight.
- Take the maida check if it is soft and in case if it has a pasty texture because of excess water content then add a few teaspoons of flour and knead well.
- Grease and prepare the counter top with a generous amount of oil. If not the dough would stick to the surface.
- Place the dough on the greased surface and flatten it with a greased rolling pin.
- Make sure to roll it into a thin sheet that is slightly transparent.
- On top of this sheet sprinkle flour and ghee/butter. Mix it and spread it widely across the sheet using a spatula.
- Fold 1/3rd of the sheet from the side, sprinkle and spread the flour and ghee paste and close it with the other 1/3rd part.
- Repeat the same process for every layer and fold until it has got into a medium sized square.
- Cut the square into wide stripes using a pizza cutter.
- Further cut the stripes into small squares or seal the corners of the square by bringing it to the centre and press it tightly or divide stripes into three parts, roll first and pinch and pull in the centre. You can try any desired shapes and place it on a baking tray.
- Preheat the oven at 180°C for a few minutes and bake at the same temperature for around 35 - 40 minutes.
- Bake only until it turns golden brown. Place them on a wire rack and let it rest for a few minutes as it tastes better when it has cooled down than when it is hot.
- It can be stored in an airtight container and can be enjoyed for over a week.
Kandra foods ships all over India ( to all the pin codes), and usually it takes 1-4 days to reach the destination based on zones you belong to.
No we don’t charge any extra for shipping the products prices are all inclusive.
The best thing you can do is to ask your security or neighbor to collect it and keep it with them and you can later collect it from them. If you don’t respond the product will be sent back to us and you may have to still bear all the shipping costs to get it delivered.
There is no minimum or maximum order value, when your order is worth Rs 2000 and more you would get a discount and you can avail it any time including the current order.you can proceed ordering as much quantity and varieties you can. For corporate orders you are requested to do an online transfer to the bank account instead of paying online on the website.
Yes, we may have seasonal deals and discounts and its not assured always, but then you can always avail a discount when your order is worth Rs. 2000 and more, you can ask for it over the chat or write to us or call directly to the available number on the website.
Yes, we serve custom orders for occasions like Srimantham (Baby shower), Oni function, festivals, small events, marriages, naming ceremonies, etc.
Yes, you can. You have to specifically mention it during your purchase, sometimes it would be chargeable based on the purchase value, product, event/occasions etc.
Yes, you can order at least 7 days in advance. So we make sure it's delivered on time to your door. We serve at least 200+ function/bulk orders every month, the most common functions we serve are the baby shower (Srimantham), Oni function, Naming ceremony etc.
Its an amazing opportunity for the women who has passion for cooking and writing! our platforms allows everyone to share their knowledge and earn in parallel. Now you can utilize your free time for sharing your knowledge on KandraFoods,
- You should be passionate about cooking & related & love sharing the same with the community
- You should be proficient writing in your mother tongue or in English
- You should know the basic email communication and english