- Interesting Facts
- Recipe/Cooking Process
- Why KandraFoods?
- Become a Contributor (Earn by writing)
- Energy - 312 cal
- Protein - 2 g - 4%
- Carbohydrates - 45 g - 16%
- Fiber - 0.8 g - 3%
- Fat - 8.9 g - 45%
- Cholesterol - 10 mg - 3%
- Vitamin D - 0.4 mcg - 0%
- Calcium - 7 mg - 1%
- Iron - 0.2 mg - 1%
- Potassium - 813 mg - 17%
- Sodium - 9 mg - 0%
- Jaggery is rich with iron which gives energy and prevents fatigue and anemia.
- It also contains nutrients which controls blood pressure and helps to increase hemoglobin.
- As it is rich in minerals, it boosts immunity, improves the digestive system and prevents constipation.
- India produces around 70% of the world's jaggery and Tamil Nadu is one of the leading producers in India.
- This can be traced back to the 16th century as there were inscriptions available about this and how it was prepared for special festivals in the Vijayanagara empire during Krishnadevaraya's time.
- As a tradition, these sweets are also prepared to be shared as gifts on many occasions.
- Adhirasam is also famous in Bihar and Jharkhand. Its other names include Ariselu, Arisa, Kajjaya and Anarsa
Suggested consumable by age groups
- A significant quantity of 1 - 2 can be enjoyed by all age groups.
Good times to eat:
- This can be a dessert or evening snack.
Eat along with:
- It goes well along any Indian savories'/snacks
When not to eat or eat more often:
- Contains more carbohydrates hence diabetes patients are advised to avoid.
Story/History of recipe
Adhirasam is an ancient Indian sweet as it has been popular since the 16th century. In present India, the origin of this sweet is shared among six states such as Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Maharashtra and Odisha. All these states continue the tradition till date and prepare this delicious sweet for festivals like Dussehra and Diwali. This sweet also holds many ritual values and is one of the important offerings made in South Indian temples.
Recipe Ingredients, Preparation Steps and Occasions Served
Watch Recipe Video
Event/Festivals Served/Most Popular During
- Soak one cup of raw rice in water for about one to one and half hours and let it dry for a few minutes.
- Do not let it dry out completely and it shouldn't be too wet either. While the moisture is still present, grind it into fine powder.
- Sieve this flour and keep it aside.
For preparing the dough for Adhirasam:
- Take a pan, add jaggery and water. Melt it at low to medium flame.
- Once the jaggery has melted into syrup transfer it to another fresh pan using a filter.
- Now let the jaggery thicken.
- To check the right consistency, take a small plate with water, drop a few drops of jaggery and try rolling it into a ball.
- If it is thick enough to roll then the consistency is perfect. Turn off the flame.
- Add the prepared rice flour to this gently, little by little and keep stirring.
- Add cardamom powder and dry ginger powder.
- Mix them well until the jaggery has absorbed the rice flour and it has become a loose dough.
- Once done you can let cool down to room temperature and transfer it to an airtight container.
- It is preferable to fry this dough into adhirasam on the next day to get a soft and perfect texture.
- You can store this dough at room temperature for 2-3 days too.
For preparing Adhirasam:
When the loose dough has rested for 24+ hours it might have turned slightly stiff.
- Take a heavy bottomed pan and pour oil as required for deep frying adhirasam. Let the oil heat at high flame for a few minutes.
- Grease your hands with ghee/oil. Take a small amount of dough and roll it into a ball.
- Press this ball into a flat adhirasam shape with your fingers on a small piece of greased banana leaf. Make sure that you don't press it too thin.
- When the oil is hot enough, drop this round shaped dough into the oil.
- Reduce the flame and wait until it starts to float and puff up.
- Flip the adhirasam so that it is evenly cooked.
- Once it has cooked well, the sizzling sound and bubbles will stop.
- Take it out after softly squeezing out the excess oil using two skimmers.
- Place it on a tissue or strainer and in a few minutes it is ready to eat.
- Repeat the procedure and fry the remaining dough. Be cautious and fry them one by one.
- Once it is done place them side by side and let it cool down before you store them in an airtight container. These adhirasams can be fresh and soft for over a week.
Kandra foods ships all over India ( to all the pin codes), and usually it takes 1-4 days to reach the destination based on zones you belong to.
No we don’t charge any extra for shipping the products prices are all inclusive.
The best thing you can do is to ask your security or neighbor to collect it and keep it with them and you can later collect it from them. If you don’t respond the product will be sent back to us and you may have to still bear all the shipping costs to get it delivered.
There is no minimum or maximum order value, when your order is worth Rs 2000 and more you would get a discount and you can avail it any time including the current order.you can proceed ordering as much quantity and varieties you can. For corporate orders you are requested to do an online transfer to the bank account instead of paying online on the website.
Yes, we may have seasonal deals and discounts and its not assured always, but then you can always avail a discount when your order is worth Rs. 2000 and more, you can ask for it over the chat or write to us or call directly to the available number on the website.
Yes, we serve custom orders for occasions like Srimantham (Baby shower), Oni function, festivals, small events, marriages, naming ceremonies, etc.
Yes, you can. You have to specifically mention it during your purchase, sometimes it would be chargeable based on the purchase value, product, event/occasions etc.
Yes, you can order at least 7 days in advance. So we make sure it's delivered on time to your door. We serve at least 200+ function/bulk orders every month, the most common functions we serve are the baby shower (Srimantham), Oni function, Naming ceremony etc.
Its an amazing opportunity for the women who has passion for cooking and writing! our platforms allows everyone to share their knowledge and earn in parallel. Now you can utilize your free time for sharing your knowledge on KandraFoods,
- You should be passionate about cooking & related & love sharing the same with the community
- You should be proficient writing in your mother tongue or in English
- You should know the basic email communication and english