- Gongura/ Sorrel leaves are rich in carbohydrates, fiber and protein that can increase energy levels and can be included in a balanced diet. It also helps to keep one away from hunger pangs and cravings hence can be included in a weight loss diet.
- Vitamins present can boost the immune system and maintain healthy bowel movements.
- The antioxidants help prevent infection and remove free radicals.
- Other nutrients also help prevent many chronic health problems and diabetes.
- Garlic is one of the best options to boost the immune system. The vitamins and other nutrients help with curing common illnesses. Regular consumption of a significant amount of garlic may also help prevent chronic diseases such as cancer.
- Antioxidants in garlic support brain health and help in reducing the risk of Alzheimer's disease and dementia.
- Coriander seeds contain antioxidants that can help cure inflammation and prevent cell damage.
- It also contains cancer prevention and anti-inflammatory properties that can prevent chronic diseases.
- It helps lower blood sugar and blood pressure levels. It improves heart health.
- Urad dal is rich in minerals such as phosphorus and calcium that help with bone and teeth health.
- It also contains magnesium, potassium and iron which are good for the heart, boosts immunity and improves the digestive system.
- Along with the iron content, it is also rich in protein and fiber hence ideal to be included in a weight loss diet and helps to increase the energy levels.
Story/History of recipe
Gongura has an important and popular part of Andhra's cuisine. Pickles prepared with these leaves are also famous and a common household condiment of Andhra Pradesh. It is more versatile as it can be prepared as a pickle or pachadi that can be eaten as a side dish for many Indian breakfast and dinner varieties and can also be eaten as the main dish by mixing it with boiled rice and ghee. It is also popular in Tamil Nadu and Karnataka.