- Interesting Facts
- Recipe/Cooking Process
- Why KandraFoods?
- Become a Contributor (Earn by writing)
- Energy - 70 cal
- Protein - 1.4 g - 3%
- Carbohydrates - 13 g - 4%
- Fiber - 1 g - 4%
- Fat - 7 g - 9%
- Cholesterol - 0 mg - 0%
- Vitamin A - 59 mcg - 2%
- Vitamin B1 - 0.4 mg - 3%
- Vitamin B3 - 11 mg - 3%
- Rice flour can be a healthy alternative for wheat in case of a gluten free diet.
- Urad dal is a good source of energy and is rich with minerals such as phosphorus and calcium that helps with bone and teeth health.
- It also contains magnesium, potassium and iron which are good for the heart, boosts immunity and improves the digestive system.
- It is said that people of Chettinad are passionate about food and their cuisine. They have much respect and love towards their traditional cooking styles and have practiced the culture for generations.
- Chettinad snack varieties are popular especially during festival times and also have fans from abroad.
- Chettinad Thenkuzhal has more spirals and is much thinner compared to any basic type of murukku.
Suggested consumable by age groups
- A significant quantity of 2 to 3 Thenkuzhal can be enjoyed by all age groups.
Good times to eat:
- It is perfect as an evening snack.
Eat along with:
- This can be eaten alongside a hot cup of coffee or tea.
When not to eat or eat more often:
- As it is a deep fried snack it is advised to avoid consuming often.
Story/History of recipe
Murukku, the renowned snack of Tamil Nadu has many different types prepared traditionally for many years. Chettinad Thenkuzhal is one of the famous types of Murukku. The districts of Tamil Nadu that were formerly part of ancient 'Pandya Nadu' are known for their cooking called the Chettinad cuisine. Apart from their famous lunch and tiffin dishes they are also popular for their traditional snack varieties. One of such is Thenkuzhal. It is a heritage of Chettinadu to prepare Thenkuzhal for Diwali and other festivals.
Recipe Ingredients, Preparation Steps and Occasions Served
Watch Recipe Video
Event/Festivals Served/Most Popular During
For preparing Thenkuzhal flour:
- Rinse and dry three cups of raw rice at room temperature.
- Dry roast one cup of urad dal for a few seconds only until it heats up.
- Grind this 4:1 ratio of raw rice and roasted urad dal. It is better to grind in milling machinery than a household mixer.
- This nicely ground flour should be sieved and can be stored in an airtight container for around 6 months.
For preparing Thenkuzhal:
- Take a large bowl, add around two cups or as required Thenkuzhal flour, salt, butter and knead by adding water little by little.
- Knead it into a stiff dough.
- Take a heavy bottomed pan, add oil as required for deep fry and heat it at medium to high flame.
- Roll the dough, take a medium sized portion and fill the murukku maker/mould with the prepared dough.
- Once the oil is heated, lower the flame to medium and start preparing Thenkuzhal.
- It can be squeezed directly into the oil or squeeze on a spatula first and then gently drop it into the oil.
- You can add more than one at a time based on the pan capacity/size.
- Flip them to cook evenly on both sides. If the bubbles have stopped, take it out and place it on a strainer or tissue paper to remove excess oil.
- Store them in an airtight container and it can stay crisp for over a week.
Kandra foods ships all over India ( to all the pin codes), and usually it takes 1-4 days to reach the destination based on zones you belong to.
No we don’t charge any extra for shipping the products prices are all inclusive.
The best thing you can do is to ask your security or neighbor to collect it and keep it with them and you can later collect it from them. If you don’t respond the product will be sent back to us and you may have to still bear all the shipping costs to get it delivered.
There is no minimum or maximum order value, when your order is worth Rs 2000 and more you would get a discount and you can avail it any time including the current order.you can proceed ordering as much quantity and varieties you can. For corporate orders you are requested to do an online transfer to the bank account instead of paying online on the website.
Yes, we may have seasonal deals and discounts and its not assured always, but then you can always avail a discount when your order is worth Rs. 2000 and more, you can ask for it over the chat or write to us or call directly to the available number on the website.
Yes, we serve custom orders for occasions like Srimantham (Baby shower), Oni function, festivals, small events, marriages, naming ceremonies, etc.
Yes, you can. You have to specifically mention it during your purchase, sometimes it would be chargeable based on the purchase value, product, event/occasions etc.
Yes, you can order at least 7 days in advance. So we make sure it's delivered on time to your door. We serve at least 200+ function/bulk orders every month, the most common functions we serve are the baby shower (Srimantham), Oni function, Naming ceremony etc.
Its an amazing opportunity for the women who has passion for cooking and writing! our platforms allows everyone to share their knowledge and earn in parallel. Now you can utilize your free time for sharing your knowledge on KandraFoods,
- You should be passionate about cooking & related & love sharing the same with the community
- You should be proficient writing in your mother tongue or in English
- You should know the basic email communication and english