- Rice flour can be a healthy alternative for wheat in case of a gluten free diet.
- Urad dal is rich with minerals such as phosphorus and calcium that helps with bone and teeth health.
- It also contains magnesium, potassium and iron which are good for the heart, boosts immunity and improves the digestive system.
- Along with the iron content it is also rich in protein and fibre hence ideal to be included in a weight loss diet and helps to increase the energy levels.
- Cumin seeds help with good digestion.
- Manaparrai, a town in Tamil Nadu is famous for Murukku and they deliver these traditional snacks to the whole and outside of India.
- While most of the other types of murukku need a Chakli maker
- South Indians include this with their return gifts on marriage occasions along with sweets. It is also offered in temples.
Suggested consumable by age groups
- A significant quantity of 2-3 small/medium sized Chakli can be enjoyed by all age groups.
Good times to eat:
- It is perfect as an evening snack.
Eat along with:
- This can be eaten alongside a hot cup of tea or coffee.
When not to eat or eat more often:
- As it is a deep fried snack it is advised to not consume often.
Story/History of recipe
Chakli is a traditional Indian snack that is originally from Tamil Nadu. The Kannada word 'Murukku' means "to twist". There are many varieties of Chakli available, they come in unique shapes and sizes. Chakli is one of the popular ones. It has an amazing look with more twists and is available from smaller ones to a bigger size of upto 9 layers. It is specially prepared for festivals like Diwali, Krishna Jayanti , Gowri Hunnime and many more.
Recipe Ingredients, Preparation Steps and Occasions Served
The following are the ingredients needed to prepare around 8-10 medium sized Chakli,
- Raw rice - 1 1/2 cup (rice flour - 2 cups)
- Urad dal - 4 tablespoons (Urad dal flour - 2 tablespoons)
- Water - 1/2 or as required for dough
- Butter - 1/2 tablespoon
- Cumin seeds - 1 teaspoon
- Asafoetida/Hing - a pinch
- Salt - as required
- Oil - as required for deep fry.
For preparing dough:
Rice flour :
- Rinse and soak around one and a half a cup of raw rice in water for about 1-2 hours, drain the water and dry them using a white cloth for a few minutes.
- Grind them into fine powder, sieve and take two cups of this flour for preparing Suthu murukku.
Urad dal flour:
- Dry roast around four tablespoons of urad dal for a couple of minutes until it turns light brown.
- Grind this into fine flour. Sieve and take two tablespoons for preparing Chakli
- Take a large bowl, add two cups of rice flour, two tablespoons of urad dal flour, cumin seeds, asafoetida, salt and butter. Give it a good mix.
- Add water and knead well. Manage the consistency by adding water as required for a soft dough.
- It needs to be slightly sticky and soft.
Kandra foods ships all over India ( to all the pin codes), and usually it takes 1-4 days to reach the destination based on zones you belong to.
No we don’t charge any extra for shipping the products prices are all inclusive.
The best thing you can do is to ask your security or neighbor to collect it and keep it with them and you can later collect it from them. If you don’t respond the product will be sent back to us and you may have to still bear all the shipping costs to get it delivered.
There is no minimum or maximum order value, when your order is worth Rs 2000 and more you would get a discount and you can avail it any time including the current order.you can proceed ordering as much quantity and varieties you can. For corporate orders you are requested to do an online transfer to the bank account instead of paying online on the website.
Yes, we may have seasonal deals and discounts and its not assured always, but then you can always avail a discount when your order is worth Rs. 2000 and more, you can ask for it over the chat or write to us or call directly to the available number on the website.
Yes, we serve custom orders for occasions like Srimantham (Baby shower), Oni function, festivals, small events, marriages, naming ceremonies, etc.
Yes, you can. You have to specifically mention it during your purchase, sometimes it would be chargeable based on the purchase value, product, event/occasions etc.
Yes, you can order at least 7 days in advance. So we make sure it's delivered on time to your door. We serve at least 200+ function/bulk orders every month, the most common functions we serve are the baby shower (Srimantham), Oni function, Naming ceremony etc.
Its an amazing opportunity for the women who has passion for cooking and writing! our platforms allows everyone to share their knowledge and earn in parallel. Now you can utilize your free time for sharing your knowledge on KandraFoods,
- You should be passionate about cooking & related & love sharing the same with the community
- You should be proficient writing in your mother tongue or in English
- You should know the basic email communication and english