Story/History of recipe
Gokak Karadantu is Karnataka's famous sweet. The word 'Karadantu' in Kannada means fried edible gum. Since it was originally prepared in the city Gokak it is known as Gokak Karadantu or Karadant. From being sold in the local market during the pre-independence era to the most popular sweet Karadantu has become a favorite for many.
Recipe Ingredients, Preparation Steps and Occasions Served
The following are the ingredients needed for preparing Gokak Karadantu,
- Edible gum / gond - 1/4 cup
- Jaggery - 1 cup
- Almonds - 1/4 cup
- Cashews - 1/4 cup
- Pistachios - 2 tablespoons (chopped)
- Fig - 3 tablespoons (chopped)
- Dry coconut / Copra - 1/2 cup
- Melon seeds - 2 tablespoons
- Dry dates - 1/2 cup (chopped in half)
- Raisins - 2 tablespoons
- Cardamom powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Nutmeg powder - 1/8 teaspoon
- Ghee - 1/2 cup
- Water as required
- In a pan add a few tablespoons of ghee and roast a quarter cup of edible gum until it puffs up. Transfer it into a bowl and keep it aside.
- Fry all the dry fruits like almonds, cashews, pistachios, melon seeds in the same pan and transfer them to a big bowl.
- Fry raisins, dry dates, chopped figs separately and transfer them to the big bowl.
- Dry roast grated dry coconut and keep it aside.
- In a different pan add a cup of crushed jaggery and around a quarter cup of water. Melt the jaggery into syrup.
- Transfer the jaggery syrup to a fresh pan using a filter to remove any impurities.
- Keep stirring and let the jaggery syrup boil and thicken.
- Add all the spices like cardamom powder and nutmeg powder to the jaggery and mix well.
- Check whether it has attained soft ball consistency, to test this take water in a small bowl and drop in a few drops of jaggery syrup in it. If it can be rolled into a ball then the consistency is perfect.
- At this stage add edible gum, dry coconut and the big bowl of fried nuts and fruits one by one and mix well.
- Meanwhile, grease a tray or container with ghee and keep it ready.
- Transfer the contents to this greased tray. Press and flatten them like a bar. Keep this aside and let it rest for a day.
- After it has set well cut them into desired shapes.
- Alternatively, if preferred these can be rolled and prepared as laddoos as well.
- These can be stored in an airtight container and can be enjoyed for a month.
- Edible gum is calcium-rich and can help strengthen the bones.
- It has nutrients that can be beneficial for pregnant and lactating women.
- The minerals and protein content can increase energy levels.
- Jaggery is rich in minerals that will help improve and maintain the immune system.
- It also helps in increasing hemoglobin and maintaining blood pressure.
- As it is rich in iron it can help prevent fatigue and anemia.
- The antioxidants and other vitamins in jaggery make it a natural cleanser for our body and have anti-aging properties for the skin.
- It contains nutrients that improve digestion and relieves constipation.
- Almonds are loaded with fiber, protein and healthy fats hence can be included in a healthy diet for weight loss.
- It has antioxidants that remove free radicals and prevent oxidative damage.
- It is rich in vitamin E which reduces the risk of heart problems, cancer and Alzheimer's disease.
- Magnesium content helps lowering blood pressure and blood sugar levels.
- Cashews contain healthy fats, protein and calcium which improves brain and bone health.
- It also has antioxidants and helps prevent inflammation and other diseases.
- It is packed with minerals like magnesium and iron. It can help with reducing the risk of heart diseases, lowering blood pressure and cholesterol and preventing anemia.
- Pistachios are loaded with protein, fiber and potassium. It promotes eye and gut health.
- Dry Coconut contains saturated fats that are accumulated to produce energy.
- They are rich in fiber and help improve the digestive system and heart health.
- Dry dates can help control blood sugar levels as it has a low glycemic index and is loaded with fiber.
- Other nutrients present in dates improve brain function and help prevent inflammation, the formation of plaques in the brain and Alzheimer's disease.
- Raisins contain minerals like calcium and iron that can strengthen bones and teeth and can prevent anemia. It also has nutrients that can prevent the risk of cancer and heart diseases.
- Edible gum is also known as tragacanth or acacia is usually sourced from natural sap. It is included in traditional medicines for cough and diarrhea.
- Consumption of food prepared with edible gum like Karadantu or Gond ladoo can give warmth and is recommended for pregnant women.
- In general, compared to fresh fruits, dry fruits are said to have almost three times more fiber, vitamins and mineral content.
- The antioxidants present in pistachios give them a green color.
- A town of Karnataka named Amingad in Bagalkot district is also famous for Karadantu.
- Karadantu was earlier prepared with gram flour, jaggery and peanuts.
- Other similar bars or candies made with nuts are Kadalai mittai, Ellu mittai, etc.
Suggested consumable by age groups
- A significant quantity of one or two pieces of Gokak Karadantu can be consumed by all age groups.
Good times to eat:
- It can be eaten anytime or as an evening snack or as an energy bar during work breaks.
- It is perfect to eat especially during winters as edible gum can help warm up your body.
Eat along with:
- It can be enjoyed as it is.
When not to eat or eat more often:
- Diabetic patients should avoid consuming Gokak Karadantu.
- People allergic to any of the nuts used shall avoid it.
Start EarningIts an amazing opportunity for the women who has passion for cooking and writing! our platforms allows everyone to share their knowledge and earn in parallel. Now you can utilize your free time for sharing your knowledge on KandraFoods,
- You should be passionate about cooking & related & love sharing the same with the community
- You should be proficient writing in your mother tongue or in English
- You should know the basic email communication and english
Kirstin W. EvertonGraphic Designer, Apple
Kimberly MasonCustomer Service, Google
Jack JohnsonDeveloper, Uber